3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer drives  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer drives
« on: December 06, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
Hey guys I have been thinking about trying to organize a deer drive. Ideally I would like to have 4 guys but may wind up with only three. You guys have any tips are tricks? This sounds like pretty fun and team oriented way to hunt and I'd like to give it a shot.

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer drives
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
Just my opinion, but a archery deer drive sounds like a good way to wound deer.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
It's fun and it works......but!!! You need a group of guys that understand how it needs to be done. You have to kind of still hunt the pushers very slowly to the sitters and I mean slowly. You need to play the wind to the max. And most important the sitters need to be able to wait for the "PERFECT" shot at a slow moving deer. To get that all to come together is not an easy thing to do.........But like I said......it's fun!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Illegal in IL.  May want to check your regs.  More of a old school gun tactic I thought.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Well to each his own I suppose. I will give it a try and let you know  ;) .

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
Not illegal in MO man. Hehehe sounds like you need to come over to the right side of the river.

Ron- thanks man. That's sort of what I was thinking a slow drive down wind toward upwind pushers. I don't want to jump them so much as have them move slowly away.

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
Haha.  Only the politicians on this side of the river can do the illegal stuff.
Good luck let us know how it goes

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
I was thinking about drives today.  To me it would be intentionally pushing deer off property you have permission to hunt possibly never seeing them during or after the drive.  

I'm not for or against it, and if you have  a bunch of other places to hunt then cool beans.  

Personally I would prefer if the neighbors all did drives and I had a  "sanctuary" to hunt!

If I was invited to drive someone else's land, I would probably jump at it.  

Let us know how you make out.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »
I think it's illegal in ILLinois only on public land-Hap

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
I hunt public land. There is a small conservation area not that far from me that is only 330 acres it has mostly field in the middle and then strips of woods along the edges and most importantly surrounded on the sides by the Missouri River.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Deer drives can be  deadly effective at getting deer in front of hunters when applied by skilled woodsmen. But getting deer in front of hunters is not the same as getting those hunters good bow shots at deer. I think its a lost art and not a lot of todays hunters have the skills to get a good drive done.

Evolution has created tree stand sitters which is by far the most effective hunting method for me anyway, but man o man how I miss the old days and good deer drives by hunters who knew what they were doing.

Go for it Jake, you might just learn some new hunting skills, for sure you will. Good luck.

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Deer drives are alot of fun. Good way to get deer that are locked down in hiding this time of year. A good slow walking drive is very effective. If guys are set up in right spots such as tree stands on runways the deer will come right by alot of times not to spooked if they get kicked up up early enough in the drive.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Where I did most of the driving I was involved in was big parcels of land [state] and you could not push the deer off 5 million acres. Most times when you did move them out they really didn't go to far and you could sometimes regroup to try again. On big parcels of big woods you need guys who are good in the woods. Not to many hone their woodsman ship skills now days. It's really good when there is snow.....you can pick up movement much farther away and get ready for the shot.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
Driving deer seems to be a way of life for Wisconsin hunters during gun seasons.  I read someones words that said there is no unkillable deer ( buck) if you can use drives.  

BUT

As stated, you need to know your property, you need to hunt the wind.  You need guys that know how to do it, and you'd better be prepared for moving ( ehem... running) shots.

I was party to numerous drives early in my hunting career and they are just not my cup of tea.  To each their own.

ChuckC

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
I've been thinking about it myself because on public land, I had a deer "driven" by me by some noisy hunters leaving their stands.  By the time she got to me, was was moving pretty cautiously, and had she been in range, I could have gotten a shot.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
come down to Sussex county Charlie--we have 35000ac of national recreation area to push and a 2 deer limit in January--buy your license for '17 and they will give you tags for next fall too!!
we like to do at least one push day every winter
Mike

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
There is a youtube channel of some guys in PA who do this fairly often with trad gear.  Leatherwoods outdoors or something like that is the name of the channel.  They have other recurve hunts on there too.

They have some shots on there I wouldn't be able to take, but very close range ones (<5 yards at a fast moving deer).

Those guys move a ton of deer on their drives.  I like to watch their other recurve videos more though.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Like any tactic - it can work if employed correctly.

I've never done deer drives with a bow, but many have been successful doing so.

I would employ it as a last ditch effort late in the season.  With the right size property, and the right amount of pushers, I think you can get some deer moving in front of the blockers.

I would be slow and deliberate as a pusher.  I would prefer to gently bump the deer and get them walking slowly out in front of you.

I don't think you want your blockers having to take running shots. Blockers would be stationed on the exit routes.
>>>--------->

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
I deleted this post because I was not following the interest of the original topic and have apologized to the thread starter.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
It's not a drive, but a slowww easy, push!

Still hunting with a few with the same mindset, can be fun and successful hunt!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©