3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can 2 different samples of a particular bow be THAT much different?  (Read 709 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
This question is for not only the bowyers in the gang, but also those who have shot different samples of the same model.

I'll withhold the name of the bow...

About 3 year ago I bought a bow from a sponsor here (he was not the bowyer).  I was completely blown away by that bow.  So much so that I started looking for a backup bow of the same model and specs.

After searching, I found my second one.  Got it to my house and was very disappointed in it.  The smoothness of the draw, the handshock, my ability to hit with it...everything was just very wrong.

Both bows had the same grip, exact same model, exact length and the first was #52 @ 28" and the second was #51 @ 28".  To say I was shocked was an understatment.

So, was that a complete lemon?  Just me?  Or has anyone else noticed something similar?
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can 2 different samples of a particular bow be THAT much different?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
That is a bummer.  I had my bowyer build me a back up bow to the same specs as my hunting bow and it came out perfect!  It feels, and shoots exactly like my primary.  They were built 2 years apart.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
What about string material, silencer material and placement, and nock fit? If those things are not all the same, then the bow will likely not shoot the same.

Bisch

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
Sounds like a lemon. Wonder if the original bowyer would look at it and check it for you, maybe the limbs are out of balance?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
I had a very similer experience with a particular bowyer's bow as well.
I had a bow custom built by a popular, very good, well established bowyer. Absolutely beautiful shooting bow, and still is.
Two of my buddies loved shooting  my bow so much they ordered the exact same bow, length, poundage woods, etc.
When there bows arrived 6mos later, both were disappointed. Both bows were nice, however, were not as smooth as mine nor as quiet.
We could never expain why?? Always been a mystery. Looking back my buddies probably should have contacted the bowyer to discuss why.

chris <><

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
Bisch,
Good points.  I set them both up with same strings and silencers.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
Bisch did make a great point.  I have known of a bow that was the same make/model but different woods being a dud.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »
I could only imagine that the tiller being off would be the only other thing I could think of that could cause that. Either that, or the bowyer changed something up in his design or forms that changed the final product.

Bisch

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »
I've had a similar experience also. The only difference was the core woods.  If my only experience with that bow was the first one I'd say it was "just OK". The second bow id rate as excellent.  My guess is the tiller.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
I think it has to do with core wood.
I've had it happen with a custom bow from the same bowyer...Paint it yellow and then at least everyone will know lol

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Hmmmm.  Over the years, I've had several bows from several individual makers.  For the most part, the cosmetics have been as good from one to the next, virtually indistinguishable.  However, I've often noticed little differences in performance. Not drastic, but enough to detect. Never anything large enough to fret about.

I also have a few that are very consistent from bow to bow, A&H ACSs, Morrison Shawnee longbows and Bear TDs (mostly older limbs), for example.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
I have only experience one maker that I felt bows varied a lot from. It can happen
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
10 bows from the same maker,one will be the best,one will be the worst and the others will fall in the middle.Everone should have at lease 1 #1 in their lifetime.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
Yes they can vary but usually not to such an extreme

That's why it's so important to try and shoot a bow before buying and if you find a special one.... Hang onto it!!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
Yes it is a true phenomena. I have a bow I love and had another set of limbs for it same specs with a different core wood that wasn't near as good.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
It happens.  I think it's because they are working with organic materials and those materials themselves are not completely consistent from one sampling to another.  Add to that very minor variances in widths/thickness/amount of glue/etc and it all adds up during the shot cycle.  I find it rather odd how much otherwise VERY similar builds can vary.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
gotta ask if the first bow is great and well made...why do you need a back up of the same...should not need a back up bow ? should last you a lifetime !!

I understand if you are travelling and take a back up in case of damage or unforeseen circumstance and to
go home is too far...

I will bring a back up if I am travelling 4 hours or more...otherwise never...most my friends don't bring back ups....A little off the question but just curious as why ...

on topic I would guess if it is laminated and made out of the exact wood core and has  type of fiberglass then play with the nock point and brace height

if you could get your hands on a few more of the same you would know if your first one is a gem or your last one is a lemon

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
I've seen a gent carrying a backup bow unstrung during a 3D shoot as if a back quiver. He told me he had experienced a bow tip break during a shoot by putting the bow next to a tree where it blended in and someone stepped on. Now this was extreme because the parking lot was at most a 5 minute walk.
But in the normal world I guess "S" can always happen.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
Years ago 1960s local bower made 10 bows at a time.Had a waiting list,when bows were completed 20-30 guys showed up to shoot them.ALWAYS had a bidding war for #1, 2 or 3 bows soid that night.The rest went to general public.Being a kid I asked does this happen often? Allways he said.Average weight was 42-45#.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
trubltrubl,

Just in all honesty, crap happens.

And if something happens in the middle of hunting season...I want to be able to pick right back up where I left off without having to waist time getting reacquainted with a different grip, length, draw, etc.

Been there, done that....it is not good.
Ken Adkins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©