3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell wool wind blocker recommendations? Updated solution.  (Read 1701 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Asbell wool wind blocker recommendations? Updated solution.
« on: December 06, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Looking for recommendation on what to use as a wind blocker while wearing an Asbell wool full zip coat.

I know they sell a wind blocker vest, but would like something long sleeved.

I sat Saturday morning in High 30 low 40's with a NNE wind at 5 to 10 MPH and could not get comfortable.

I had on my new First Lite merino wool base layers (a light and a Mid wt)and a fleece sleeper shirt.  And the wind cut right through!

I love the romantic idea of the old wool plaids, but I want to stay warm to.

So what are you guys using to cut the wind and stay warm without all the bulk?

Now humidity was about 75 - 80% that morning and stays high down here year round, and that is a factor for sure.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell wool wind blocker recommendations? Updated solution.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
I've heard of using a golf windbreaker under the wool.  Not sure how noisy it might turn out.  I'll find one in my size at a thrift store one of these days.  Until then, I wear a windstopper berber fleece vest over my Asbell wool.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
I have one of the original Asbell windblockers with the full sleeves and high kneck....cant beat it

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
I've wore those nylon golf/wind shirts under my wool and they work well.

I also recently bought, for work, a wind proof fleece jacket from Duluth Trading and it is one of the warmest jackets I've worn. I've been working outside in 30deg rain/snow and 30 mph winds and it is great. Stops the wind completely. I'm thinking about getting one for hunting cause it is very quiet.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Eric,

If you get one for hunting do you plan on wearing under the wool or just using it as an outer shell?

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
Probably under the wool, but could go either way, they make it in some good dull green, brown and gray colors.

I like wool outside cause the plaid will break up your outline and diffuses the light better than anything.

A good wool base under this fleece and you would be amazed how warm it is.

Offline wounded tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
I wear my First Lite Puffy under my wool coat. Noise is not a problem, especially if it is windy. I have even layered with heavier down jackets. I am very cold blooded. When back pack hunting the puffy is an awesome, easy to carry and stuff, security blanket in my pack.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 12:31:00 AM »
Well my thoughts are if I'm having to to "mix" modern wool and synthetic's to stay warm I may as well go all in for the complete layering system of these companies like FL, Sitka, Core4, etc...

But there not cheap.  I do however like the fact that there less bulkier.

I just wish i had more money at the time of the FL Black Friday sale   :rolleyes:

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Come up to WI and live a few winters, 40-45°F was t-shirt weather the past two days for me while doing light yard work.

Wind only gets to me on my torso, so I just have a couple vests to choose from depending on temp and wind conditions (heavy down, lite down, windstopper, etc). I wear a merino wool base layer and an old merino wool crew top sweater from North Face, and a vest....I do have an Asbell jacket on order. For long sits in sub-freezing weather, I also wear a pair of insulated Dickies sanded-duck bibs (way softer and more quiet than Carhartt or the like).
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
I have s camo shirt that has a wind blocker layer, but it is noisy. I don't use it.
Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Thank for the reply's guys   :thumbsup:

Miles, I'm getting very coldblooded in nature as I "mature" lol and cannot handle the cold as well as I once did.  The thing is 40-50 degrees around the yard working doesn't brother me like when sitting in a blind or stand.

Anybody ever had a liner sewed into their Asbell garments?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
One addition to my clothing that I like is a full Terramar Thermasilk base layer.  Including cap (fits under a larger hat and covers the tips of my ears) and glove liners.  First layer

I have a relatively heavy crew neck poly sweater/sweatshirt that I wear under my Asbell pull-over.  On top of that I wear a polyfleece LL Bean vest that is toasty warm.  This traps enough air that the wind doesn't get through.  It also keeps my arms pretty free for movement.

I have one of Theresa's windblocker vests but it is big enough for two of me and doesn't have a way to vent off heat when I do get up and move.  When It's very cold I put it on over the rest of my underlayers.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
last year I struggled with the wind and my asbell.  I went to a chain sporting goods store, found a columbia wind/rainproof light jacket, that happened to be black, and on clearance, and whisper quiet.  works great for little $$.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

I just order a 1/2 zip wind resistant/proof shirt from a discount golf store.  I found it in a dark heather color and hopefully this will solve my issues.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
I'll wear golf wind shirts under the wool in really cold wind conditions. I have a couple with soft outer shells.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
I use the cabelas performance fleece jacket with 4most windshear. My favorite jacket. 40 to 60 weather I wear it by itself and cold weather I use it for layering under/over wool. I love the simple outfitter camo to. Keep your eyes open for sales as the original price is hefty.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by South MS Bowhunter:
Thank for the reply's guys    :thumbsup:  

Miles, I'm getting very coldblooded in nature as I "mature" lol and cannot handle the cold as well as I once did.  The thing is 40-50 degrees around the yard working doesn't brother me like when sitting in a blind or stand.

Anybody ever had a liner sewed into their Asbell garments?
I'm no seamstress, but I believe that you'd have to take the garment apart, cut the liner to fit and then sew it all back together. I'm sure Teresa could make whatever you want from the get-go, just got call or e-mail her.

But, I'd stick with separate layers for more versatility in different weather. I just got a Cabela's Wooltimate vest with windshear, haven't used it to sit yet....but it seemed to really cut the wind when I wore it to go get the mail the other day in 35mph wind (for what it's worth, it gets great reviews everywhere, and they make similar in jacket form).
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Came up with a solution that I think will work for colder temps and windy condition.

I had a thought come to mind: Why not use an old field jacket liner?  I had some stored away from my Air Force days and after a few minutes of sewing on some buttons wha la I now have a removable liner that can be taken on or off as the weather conditions dictates.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
You be one tricky devil...not only a frog killing machine, but a student of "Demolition Man" the movie...now you can be a seamstress too!  :)

Windproof garments have to be removable... if it's not windy they will make you sweat like going to elections in you home state!

Otherwise, when cool winds blow, they're a god-send!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Thanks Doc!  What went on with "Demolition Man" the movie?

Didn't watch many movies growing up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©