3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Going to give 3D a whirl next year.....  (Read 614 times)

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
Going to give 3D a whirl next year.....
« on: December 07, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Found an active group that shoots 3D tourny's on a regular basis and Trads are well represented. Since FUN is the main objective, what do I need to bring out on the course? (other than the bow and potentially lost arrows)
   :archer2:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

May Thors Hammer ring in your favor!

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Going to give 3D a whirl next year.....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Sense of humor and humility! As long as nobody takes it too seriously,  great amounts of fun will be shared by all!!!!!

Seriously,  I find that the less I bring,  the better off I am....

3d shoots are a real hoot!

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
I thoroughly enjoy 3D. It is a chance to shoot the bow in a very sociable environment. You will find some archers who are very serious score keepers, and you will find many light hearted shooters simply out for fun. But it is surely fun.

I don't really consider it a real preparation for hunting, because many of the shots are not designed to be totally realistic, plus the scoring rings are not always placed where you would want a field shot to go. However, picking a spot is still necessary to score well. Place your emphasis on fun and friendship.

When you go to the course, all you need is bow, quiver (with lots of arrows), and glove/tab and arm guard. Of course, take your sense of humor. Have fun!
Sam

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Bug repellant and possibly a water bottle.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Thanks everyone. I've just picked up an arrow puller and was advised to get a bar of Ivory. Since I already have a side target quiver, I think I'll add a small pouch for LBR's bug spray and a bottle holder. Maybe even a towel.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
One thing I found helpful was a piece of inner tube about 6" around.  Pulling wood arrows out of the foam can be hard on the hand (and arrow).  The rubber pad helped a LOT.

We (group or traditional bowhunters) were "run out" of a local club because our wood arrows caused too much damage to the 3-D targets, and it was stated "they are not for practice".  IMHO your priorities ain't right if 3-D is NOT for practice.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

We (group or traditional bowhunters) were "run out" of a local club because our wood arrows caused too much damage to the 3-D targets, and it was stated "they are not for practice".  IMHO your priorities ain't right if 3-D is NOT for practice.
I've never heard this comment before, or that wood arrows cause anymore damage than any other arrows. Do you know what their reasoning was for this?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Bring Patience.  If you have a heavy schedule afterward, might be best to stay home.  sometimes you run into crowds, other days you will walk through.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
I love 3d tourneys, I actually prefer shooting my bow in tournies and stumping more than Hunting.

3d is a sport/game to me, not practice for hunting. If your schedule is tight, try to be one of the first on the course, if you have all day (like a game of golf) it's one of the best times had with a bow and arrow. Plenty of jabs and general hard times given, lots of support and great company!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
I like the sense of humor and humility. With the group I shoot with, a thick skin also comes in real handy. We rag on each other unmercifully but have one hell of a good time. No one in my group ever keeps score. Just a great social event. I have a feeling you'll enjoy yourself.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
Killing is good practice for 3D shootin so hunt hard while time remains!

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
I try my best to be the first out on the course. Nice and quiet and no waiting.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
All great advise, thanks y'all. I'm really jazzed to get going.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
The most important thing at this point is to simply get to that first shoot...it will not take you long to sort out what you will want for the second one...one thing I try to do, at age 64 with a pair of eyes that may have seen better days, is to shoot with someone younger who can actually see what is on the score card and will do the scoring for me...there are those that will tell you not to keep score and I shoot sometimes where that is the case...still, as long as you keep it in perspective, there is nothing inherently wrong with the idea...the fact is putting pressure on yourself to make a good shot and a good score just helps one to be a better game shot under pressure...the other thing I just remembered is to get some advice on footwear...some 3D courses can involve some pretty rugged terrain

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Thanks Dave, being a diabetic, taking good care of my feet is very very important.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
I leave the bug spray in the truck and apply before going out. I do carry on my belt a water bottle pouch, a small towel, a locking folder.

In my pouch on my roving quiver I have a rubber "hand" arrow puller, Saunders point puller, extra glove, stringer, pair of miniature channel locks, baggie with extra points and nocks. I also have a bow square in the quiver. Most of these items are to help my more unfortunate shooting companions, not me. Yeah right.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
3D is the funnest game on the planet.......because we get to play it with our stickbows!

Bisch

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
You need to pack your quiver full of arrows.  That way after you lose a few, it still looks like you have a quiver full of arrows and are a good shot.  You might be an awesome shot and only need to take a couple out on a 3D course, but people will look at you and think "That Dude must suck. He lost almost all his arrows."
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
 "That Dude must suck. He lost almost all his arrows."
Which might be a good thing for them to think.  When I used to play golf, we had a term for that: sandbagger. That was the guy who usually won by one or two strokes, and then would say something like, "I can't believe it!  I was playing way over my head today."
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
3D is the funnest game on the planet.......because we get to play it with our stickbows!

Bisch
There is nothing more fun(and funny) than seeing pictures like this..    

seriously, I love 3d tourneys, but I am one who takes it "serious".  If I am going to do something, I want to be good at it.  What 3D has taught me is, when I focus, I can shoot very well.  When I don't focus, I can shoot very bad. lol.  To me it completely reinforced, "pick a spot".  

I have heard the complaint about the kill zones being different than the scoring ring, which is true on some targets; ESPECIALLY on african game.  I have picked spots and hit them exactly where I wanted only to get an 8.  There is nothing more frustrating to me than hitting exactly where I am looking, but not hitting the 10 ring.  It is for fun, but when you're shooting with Bisch, Rusty, and whoever else, it is fun beating them, which doesn't happen very often!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©