3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is Vern Butler?  (Read 621 times)

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
Who is Vern Butler?
« on: December 07, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
A few years back I purchased a used 3pc longbow. It resembled a pronghorn which I've been trying to get my hands on for quite some time. (Apparently anyone who owns one will not part with it.  :(  )
It's a LH "Flipper Stick" 63# @28". It belonged to Vern. I know this because his name is on the bow.
When I received the bow I'm surprised it made it thru the USPS. The smell of smoke as if it hung above a cabins fire place was so intense I had to bring the box outside to fully open it. It would be some time before the smell dissipated.
With it's custom hand grip smooth shooting, a strap on quiver with Autumn Legends it's been my go to bow since I've owned it.
Can anyone tell me about him and is he still around?
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline bruce

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is Vern Butler?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
vern ran a great trad shop in Evanston Wyoming, haven't seen him in many years.
bruce

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
Vern is still around. He is a great guy. The bow you have is a pronghorn made by Herb for Vern's business. They chose the name flipper stick to sell them as together.

I have not talked to Vern in a good while myself. He is still in Wyoming. Vern hunted a lot with Jay Massey I know and many others. He is Traditional bowhunting icon in my book.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
Didnt know Vern very well. Had met him a couple of times at Bowhunter of Woming annual meetings. He was a very likeable and very knowledgeable guy. I used to order all my trad gear from him back in the day. He made a flemish string how to video on making the jig and the strings. It was how I learned and still use that jig to this day.
Someone from Colorado bought his business from him and ran it out of Colorado for a while but not sure what happen to that shop.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
I met Vern a few times, as well. I think his 'real' job was a barber, and he did the archery business on the side. He took some pretty good animals with the bow; yours probably has some serious mojo in it.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
Before compound bows started changing things Vern was a bit of a legend in western Wyoming.

He and I hooked up in the 80's and had many great trips together after bear, elk, muleys and small game.

I haven't heard from him in years. I heard he had had a stroke which slowed him down quite a bit. He was a lefty and a fine shot and even better hunter.

To many stories to tell, but I remember the last time we were together. We were chasing cottontails
on the desert south of Pinedale. I had just pulled a shot right out of my kiester and nailed highballing bunny.
It was late in the afternoon and the mountains glowed red from the sun sinking slowly behind the Wyoming range to the west.

I was two days away from moving my family back east and we both knew this was a last hunt for us.
Putting a hand on my shoulder and raising his bow tip to point towards the peaks he looked me in the eyes and said, "you're going to miss that".

He was right.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
Vern and Claris his wife showed up to the PBS gathering in Salt Lake City in 2006. I hadn't heard anything about them in years before or since.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
Charlie,  

That is  wonderful memory of a  good friendship.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Before compound bows started changing things Vern was a bit of a legend in western Wyoming.

He and I hooked up in the 80's and had many great trips together after bear, elk, muleys and small game.

I haven't heard from him in years. I heard he had had a stroke which slowed him down quite a bit. He was a lefty and a fine shot and even better hunter.

To many stories to tell, but I remember the last time we were together. We were chasing cottontails
on the desert south of Pinedale. I had just pulled a shot right out of my kiester and nailed highballing bunny.
It was late in the afternoon and the mountains glowed red from the sun sinking slowly behind the Wyoming range to the west.

I was two days away from moving my family back east and we both knew this was a last hunt for us.
Putting a hand on my shoulder and raising his bow tip to point towards the peaks he looked me in the eyes and said, "you're going to miss that".

He was right.
:campfire:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »
Charlie, just for you, here are those shining mountains.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Thanks Pat. I still miss the mountains everyday... not quite as bad in January as in June, though.    ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Charlie,

you have a way of telling a story that is a gift, my friend!  Glad I got to meet you this past summer.  I would love to share a camp fire with you just to listen to your stories.  

Can you tell me about your book?  Is that your hunting stories?  If so, send me payment details!  ;)
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Vern helped me get set up with my first traditional set up many years ago. I use to get all my supplies from Butlers until I switched to a compound in the mid 90's.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
From all the posts I see I purchased more than just a used bow that shoots great.
It came with a life time of memories shot by someone truly admired by many and apparently with lots of "mojo", more than I could ever dream of putting into any bow I own.
I guess that's why when I put the bow in my hand something comes over me, something I cannot explain that's free's me of the NY hustle and bustle even if only in my back yard to a place where everything is clear and calm.
For that I thank you Herb for the building of this bow and Vern for the "Mojo" you put into it.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
does anybody know how to contact Vern Butler?

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
I think that I have an email for him. I will look. I know him and Herb still talk.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
A friend of mine Milt Beens, purchased Verns business years ago. It was known as Wildcat Canyon Traditional Archery in Durango,CO. Milt also sold out several years ago.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
thanks guys!
much appreciated

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
What a great, interesting thread!

:)
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
I haven't seen Vern in years. He use to show up at some of the PBS Banquets. A very nice man and a heck of a hunter.   :archer:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©