3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pika...WOW!  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Pika...WOW!
« on: December 11, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
Count me among the skeptics.  I thought there was no way a bow that short could be as good as the reviews I was reading.  Well Steve Milbocker graciously offered to send me his to try out.  My goodness is this thing awesome! I draw a shade over 29" and this little bow does it with ease.  I had my buddy at work today give it a try with his 30" plus draw and again no issues. I've tried most of the short bows out there and I think this one is tops! This might just be the perfect backpack bow I've been looking for.  Guess I know what I'm saving for this new year.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pika...WOW!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
I shot a 56" "in stock" Pika at Dan's back in July when I was out on a fly fishing trip. It was as well-mannered as my Whips have been and smooth out to my 29" draw. I actually pulled a bit deeper and found no hint of stacking. I don't find longer bows problematic but if someone wanted a shorter bow this one is just about perfect.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
Brad ain't it great! The 54" 2pc Dan sent me to try...well let's just say it's not going back     :D    

I thought I'd need a 56" with my 29ish draw but I'm pleased to report that the 54" basically hits peak efficiency at 29" based on my test.  String angle at the tips is within limits and it feels good.  Zero finger pinch.  Not even crowd.

I took pics today, the review will be up in the next week.  

I must say between the Pika, the Elkheart, Shrews, the Thunderchild, and a bunch more bows from great builders this community is absolutely spoiled rotten for 2pc short longbows.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Now I don't doubt you, but I'm not able to wrap my brain around a 54" at 29. Tells us about the grip on yours, rumor is that the more recent Pikas feel more like a centaur then a whip, which I believe I would like.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
You have plenty of mad money now brother. Just order one.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
Haha, I wish, all my fun money is tied up in Ribtek broadheads!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
Now I don't doubt you, but I'm not able to wrap my brain around a 54" at 29. Tells us about the grip on yours, rumor is that the more recent Pikas feel more like a centaur then a whip, which I believe I would like.
Yeah I was kinda in disbelief at first myself, the bows shape doesn't seem very radical compared to some others and yet somehow the string angle at the limb tips just manages to hit 90° at 29" yet not feel like hitting a wall at all, it even has a bit more left.  Anyway, what it means is I'm getting every bit of power out of the bow, much like I did on that 56" Centaur I had
  I think Dan recommends the 54" for 28.5" or less just to keep it well within the margin of smoothness, but it def can go a little more to 29ish no problem.  I will have my brother take some pics at full draw later this week.

As for the grip, not sure who said Centaur, but this new one is somewhere between a Whip and a Chinook, it's actually seems a bit more slender than either of those but still fills my hand enough to be perfectly stable.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »
Chuck and Brad,  good stuff....!! I've got a Pika on my mind, but it's gonna be hard to surpass my 2 pc Chinook, I know both of you guys are big fans of Dan's Chinook. How does the Pika compare in quietness, speed, hand shock, grip, etc....
Thanks guys..!!
Jr.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guss:
Chuck and Brad,  good stuff....!! I've got a Pika on my mind, but it's gonna be hard to surpass my 2 pc Chinook, I know both of you guys are big fans of Dan's Chinook. How does the Pika compare in quietness, speed, hand shock, grip, etc....
Thanks guys..!!
Jr.
Guss, up to now the Chinook has been my favorite model.  Honestly for all around honors I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two...with the Chinook you get a bit rounder, fuller grip.  Its extra length and being a recurve means it will feel springier and smoother in draw also IMO.  What the Pika brings to the table is extra compact size and longbow styling with great manners for such a tiny bow.  

Performance wise I'd give the speed advantage to the Chinook, but the Lil Pika is no slouch.  Hand "pulse" I'd rate them similar/equal.  Sound level I'd say they are neck in neck, though I feel the Pika has a higher pitch to it due to the shortness, just like it would be on a short string instrument LOL.

I think my master plan is to have one of each someday LOL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
I think the Pika and the 58" Chinook feel very similar in shooting "feel."  The grip on this one feels like a whip, on a custom order I'd just ask for a Chinook grip.  I can't really speak to speed, as there's an 8 lbs. difference between bows.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
Brad, Don't over think it and just order one!!     :biglaugh:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
Fred, only thing stopping me is the fun money account is low.  The call will be made as soon as I can swing it.  January bonus is looking spent!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
Brad, you've got me itching to try on. Could never get along with my 58" shrew, but would like to try another shorty.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
Brad, here's a few teaser pics to nudge you in that direction when you're ready....   :bigsmyl:  

Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
Don't worry Izzy, I'll no doubt have one by November.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
Fred, what are the veneers on that?  Looks perfect to me.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Riser is micarta & bocote, myrtle limb veneers.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
Still won't have my new tip by then but who knows, I may be toting a toelke of my own.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
Still won't have my new tip by then but who knows, I may be toting a toelke of my own.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
2-Piece bow bolt, 54" would break down into a fantastic backpacking bow.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©