3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: flemish strings  (Read 764 times)

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
flemish strings
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
I've never had a flemish string before, are the twists supposed to be unifrom all the way up the string? I just strung mine and the twist get looser towards the top.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline NativeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: flemish strings
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
possibly sounds like uneven bundle tension during the twisting. would have to see. ther are alot of smart people here, sure someone will know..
"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
I make my own flemish strings and mine are really tight at the loops and are still tight but not as much twist in the center of the string. Sounds like to me someone didn't take the countertwist out of the string when they did the other loop. This would cause one end to not be uniform or have no twist at all. But i would have to see a pic.
Psalm 18:33

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 05:05:00 AM »
The twists should always be tight towards the loops - which is "build in" when doing the loops. The main body of the string should not have any twist in it at this point - but all bundles and strands lying parallel.
Now, by slightly twisting the whole thing in the "tightening" direction given by the twist of the splice - you tighten the main body also - and the splice some more. It should be nice and round all the way - with one complete turn to 1" or 2" is enough and makes for best performance.
I've often used the pic below to explain, because it can be seen quite nicely from the different colors there  

Obviously, you seldom get a string which will met this disired stage at propper brace height, so you may twist it tighter to shorten it.

Did you twist it into the opposit direction as with which it was made? The splice will give away then and you are in DANGER! Be carefull not to risk an eye when that thing goes off!

It may be, that the center serving holds some twist back at the lower limbs part of the string if "untwistet below the point" at when it was served on. Is it this what you mean?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©