3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool Yarn Silencers  (Read 702 times)

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool Yarn Silencers
« on: December 13, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
I bought some wool yarn and tied up two silencers for my longbow.  I installed them between the split string and everything seemed OK.

But, the yarn threads are coming out as I shoot so evidently I did something wrong.

Ideas?  

Thanks

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool Yarn Silencers
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
It depends, not seeing exactly what you did and how you did it.  I can tell you I've had much better durability out of acrylic yarns than the wool.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
I use both.  This may sound a little subjective, but when you're buying yarn, buy th yarn that seems the tightest woven.  I have had some yarn before(acrylic) and when you shoot, it would fill the whole room.  

I don't know if wool or acrylic matters as much as how tight it is twisted.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
how many strands of yarn do you have between the strings? I wrap around something about 60-65 times and cut on each end and slip between string. that makes about 30 -35 strands ( a good tight ball after its shot in) bigger than a golfball but smaller than a tennisball. some will fly off when shooting in.

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Thanks. I will continue to shoot them in to see what happens.  I may not have tied the ball tightly enough.

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Basstar:
Thanks. I will continue to shoot them in to see what happens.  I may not have tied the ball tightly enough.
Just out of curiosity, what is the diameter of "something"?  I recently installed wool silencers (splitting strands installing and cutting after bow is strung). I did 8 wraps around my 4 fingers about mid finger/large knuckle.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 06:37:00 AM »
the something can be anything, just so I get about 4-5 in. of yarn so I can trim down after installing. the yarn im using is not the super thick stuff, so with that you wouldn't need as many wraps.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by TealCoin:
Just out of curiosity, what is the diameter of "something"?  I recently installed wool silencers (splitting strands installing and cutting after bow is strung). I did 8 wraps around my 4 fingers about mid finger/large knuckle.
I did 25 wraps around 3 fingers with 100% wool yarn. Then cut the loops on each side, installed on loose string, twisted it up and strung it.

After several plucks, it made a tight puff about the size of a blue racketball.
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Heavy wax your string up too.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
Answer *

Two Tracks string scallops
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Cryogenic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
I do the sane as arrow30's instructions, but I tie the center of the bundle with serving material, clip the loops on either end of the bundle,  and then install it into my bow string.  Shoot it a few times and use scissors to trim the yarn to a round shape.

20 to 25 wraps around a credit card is about all I need.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
I use my 4 fingers as "something" to wrap around, and with the yarn I use, 40 wraps makes a good finished puff. How many wraps is dependent on how thick the yarn is. I also tie the center with a piece of serving. I install in the string before cutting the loops.

Bisch

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
"I also tie the center with a piece of serving. I install in the string before cutting the loops."
x2

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
I was also having the fly-away problem with coarse, natural wool yarn. I've had much better results with sock yarn, pretty fine stuff, 50/50 merino wool/acrylic, and I use about 25' of yarn for each puff.  I prefer the "fender washers" technique and tie the bundles directly to the string with a double clinch knot.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
I use wool that my wife spins from our sheep.

When I make up a string silencer I make 30 wraps around a cardboard pattern (3" wide piece) and before I slit the ends to make the individual threads I whip the center (where the bowstring will touch) VERY tightly with rug thread or a strand of an old bowstring.  This holds the threads together and also makes for a rounder puff because it flares the fibers out.

You also want to make sure when sliding it into the bowstring you have seperated the string into halves.  Wax well above and below and twist it up tightly and take a few shots to set it.  Then back off as needed to your brace height.  You'll probably have to adjust it a few times before it stays while the string settles in.

Before    

After    
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
I second the two tracks string scallops

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
I do like arrow30 also but I use my drivers license and use the narrow side to wrap. I wrap 11 times and then slide it off the card and slide between the unstrung string right in the middle. Then I even bothsides up. String up the bow with the yarn even on both sidesof the string I cut the loops. Then the fun part watch it puff out after every shot. They come out to be the size of a golf ball.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
Yep--Two Tracks string scallops are so easy to install and work so well, also.

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
[QB] I use wool that my wife spins from our sheep.
]
Dang, now that is traditional right there!!!    :thumbsup:  

Bisch

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
It always helps to untwist your string when putting in yarn silencers. When done, brace your bow and your good to go.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©