3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: That One Bow  (Read 436 times)

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
That One Bow
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
Today I decided to shoot my Black Widow PSR III and realized something special about it. As of 2015 I have had this bow for just over 10 years. Now normally that's just a time frame, but I feel in this instants there are some interesting facts that go along with those 10 years.

This bow is 54@30 so at the ripe age of 10 when I was lucky enough to be given this bow I stood a massive 4'10" with a draw length somewhere in the low 20s. A little over a year later I managed to shoot my second dear with this bow, first with a bow, right after turning 12 just one week before.

Now 10 years later I am 21 standing at 6'1" with a 29" draw finally almost getting everything the bow was suppose to be! Through those 10 years I have only really shot 2 other bows for any significant amount of time, and both shot great. For some reason though to this day I can pick up my Black Widow PSR III and out shoot those two bows after just a couple of shots!   :biglaugh:  

So this brings the question, do any of you have that one bow?
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: That One Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
Love the picture of you as a young man, I was over 30 before I got my first with bow, so in my book you've done well....regardless of what bow you use....

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Cool stuff. Never get rid of that bow.    :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
Sarrels Blueridge longbow for me!

Bisch

Offline Archer1019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
I'd have to say the Kota Kill Um. It just feels right....and shoots for me. Simple beauty.
..believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.. Acts 16:31

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
58" Toelke Chinook T/D.  I've not shot it much over the last couple years... searching for that perfect bow.  Found myself with only it at one point this season and it was like shaking hands with an old friend.  A dozen new arrows and 10 minutes with it and I can make shots you'd have to see to believe.

Interesting that so many of us feel that way about 50's style curves.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
I have a PSAX that I have had for 9 years. Have bought a bunch of other bows in that time, only 2 remain. In that time I have taken other bows hunting a few times, but it feels like I am betraying an old friend. I guess after a time with one bow it just becomes comfortable.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
I'm down to two bows that I shoot regularly. My A&H CX and my Stewart Slammer. I can't seem to choose just one bow to own and shoot.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
At the moment, my two favorite shooters are a Black Widow PSAX and a Bob Lee Hunter 3pc longbow. Ask me in six months and I will probably say something different though lol.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 06:01:00 AM »
58" Toelke Chinook T/D.  I've not shot it much over the last couple years... searching for that perfect bow.  Found myself with only it at one point this season and it was like shaking hands with an old friend.  A dozen new arrows and 10 minutes with it and I can make shots you'd have to see to believe.

Interesting that so many of us feel that way about 50's style curves.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
Way to go. Interesting to find you live in Essex Jct. Been through there a few times as I have family in the Burlington area. My nephew, who now resides in Williston, was down last week. He bow hunts with a   compound presently but informed me that he's going to go the Xbow route. Would love to show him how it can, and should, be done. Even in Vermont with as few deer as he says you have.   :clapper:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
That's so cool to see you grow up with & into that bow...  :thumbsup:  I got my boy Jeremiah a Black Widow 56" PTF 34lbs@24" Draw for him to grow up with. He was definitely small then, but now is 17 and 6ft tall (may still be growing)...   :campfire:

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
It seems that Black Widow's PLX Olive Ash always ends up in my hands. I am looking to get a PSR, I let one go a while back that I wish I had back.

Offline Ratatat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
60" Pronghorn one piece for me.  I get the change bow bug every now and again but the Pronghorn seems to be my old faithful.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
All my Hill style bows handle essentially the same.  Having some shoulder issues that have me down to pulling only 40#, down from 65# I used to shoot. Trajectory is a bit different.
Sam

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
I seem to like my longbows best.    :archer2:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Still looking..lol.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
For the last couple of years it has been my stalker fxt with longbow limbs, it is a great bow!
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
Been through a lot of bows in the past forty years and loved a number of them.  With that being said, I have a Habu VyperKhan that is a bow I would never let go.  This is the perfect bow for me 62" that draws 57#.
habujohn

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
I had that one bow...a White Wolf Beowolf t/d.  It was my first custom and brand new bow.  It was a 66" 47#@28" recurve.  It was kind of big, and kind of slow but it shot absolutely lights out for me, smooth and accurate.  I had it for  6 years and a string break fatally cracked the riser.  The search has been on for nearly 1 year, but I haven't given up; I've shot some awefully nice bows in the process.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©