3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a few more questions about mule deer  (Read 270 times)

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
a few more questions about mule deer
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
Can they be patterned at all or is it anybodys guess as to where you'll see 'em next? Also, say I've seen them bed down and am ready to make a stalk. Don't they usually lay facing down hill with the wind at their backs? How do you keep your scent from busting you? Do stalks work better in brisk to strong winds to help hide noise? Thanks again, Mike

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a few more questions about mule deer
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »
Often times out west in mule deer country the thermals can be pretty strong and provide a good uphill draft as the day heats up.  It's not unusual to find deer laying with the wind in their face, which of course is ideal.  I like some wind for the reason you describe - it helps to cover noise, plus a good steady wind is less likely to swirl than a weak one will.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Roadkill and I had a good go of trying to pattern mule deer this year. We were able to "pattern" them to the extent of figuring out generally where they go to eat, water, and bed down and approximate times they do those things. We found some trails and some places they jump the fence, but the deer didn't use those places exclusively. They just as often seemed to go where ever.

We built several blinds and as far as I can figure, it is just a matter of the deer happening to choose your trail that day. Even with good sign on a trail or fence, they certainly don't use it all the time, probably not even 50% of the time. But as long as they aren't disturbed and they continue their general routine, they will sooner or later pick your spot to cross.

My problem is I would sit in Blind A, and watch the deer walk right by Blind B. So I'd go sit in Blind B, and watch them walk by Blind C. So I go sit in Blind C, and watch them walk by Blind A. And so on.    
 :knothead:
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Also depends on the terrain. If I was out in eastern CO or Kansas, the stiff wind was great, covered noise and you knew where it was going. In the mountains, swirling wind is a given, play the thermals. As far as patterning them, you have to get real lucky as expressed above. I don't think they have a pattern. How they bed also depends on the terrain. In open country they like to bed where they can see, until that wind blows hard.(yet another reasion to stalk in those brisk winds) Then they seem to tuck up under a bluff. In mountains they will bed where they feel the most secure. If it is open enough, use your glasses then plan your stalk. If your at it long enough, everything will come together. Mulies are definitley a blast to hunt. Good Luck!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Primative Artisan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
What you guys talking about. Of course Muleys have a pattern.  In fact, they have 365 of them, one for each day of the year.  Leap years really mess them up though.  :smileystooges:

Offline Louutah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
I agree with tamure...patterned a small herd this summer, water,bedding area etc. I set up acouple of ambush sites and had a great deal of luck with the does walking right by one day at approx. 5 yards while the bucks took a different route beyond bow range. Next day...same story different deer...small bucks close...big fella takes a different route. It can be frustrating, watching your well layed plans not quite working out, but that's why they call it hunting.
I did finally get a nice buck, just not using my designated sites...you have to be able to adapted with muleys.
Shrew SS Gold 51#@28
Bear Montana 60#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©