3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Going Bonkers In TX  (Read 687 times)

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Going Bonkers In TX
« on: August 05, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
Ok, maybe this isn't the most enlightening post in the world, but I don't know if I can make it till deer season on September 30th! I've got a scouting trip to plan, and some gear left to sort, and the post office has bungled my broadhead order. But I'm shooting better than I have in a long time, I feel totally in control of my shot. I know my max range, and I'm just flat out sick of summer!

It doesn't help that I'm learning a new critter. I've never bow hunted for whitetail deer before, and it is a whole new world. No wonder guys find elk hunting so daunting when they've never done it.

Anyone have tips for surviving the next two months? Any scouting advice? Just plain old commiseration?
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Going Bonkers In TX
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
I feel for you bro. You can move to SC, we open in 10 days. Aren't hogs in season year round?
shoot straight shoot often

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by katman:
Aren't hogs in season year round?
They are. I don't have broadheads to shoot them with yet (see postal service comment above). I'm planning to get out in a week or so, I just am having a hard time restraining my enthusiasm until then!
Malachi C.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
Dove hunt! I miss dove season every year when it's good because I'm chasing elk, you have nothing else to do in September!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
Dove hunt! I miss dove season every year when it's good because I'm chasing elk, you have nothing else to do in September!
Yes! If you haven't dove hunted and you live in Texas you are missing out on some of the most fun and social hunts in America.
I would tell you to study deer movement/reaction after the shot. Those Texas deer have a serious reputation and this may not be something you are used to if you haven't hunted whitetail. I'd tell you what has worked on oklahoma deer but you should hit up some locals if yo have a chance.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
I never really thought about dove hunting I guess. Which is strange, because I love duck hunting and upland game hunting as well!

As for the Texas deer and reacting funny, I've heard that and talked to the locals about it already.   :thumbsup:
Malachi C.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »
Man I love September!! Deer in the morning and dove in the afternoon. Good times!!

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
well trumpkin, not sure how things are in Texas but here in the northeast, the food sources will totally change in the upcoming months which is a major factor in scouting.  With this in mind, my approach is usually to look for travel corridors marked by rubs between bedding areas and good stands of fall food.  I like hunting a transition area relatively close to food sources because you can usually sneak into them without blowing the whole herd out of an area and I prefer afternoon hunts for that very reason.  90% of the time the wind is coming from the north/northwest so I set up stands accordingly.  Even in the peak of the rut, the does are hitting the choice food plots like acorns, beech nuts and blackberry/raspberry thickets.  Scout for terrain, cover and food over current sightings.  I imagine the food sources change in texas too.
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
I'm heading out in a couple weeks for the archery opener in the Sierras.  The Coastal season is already open for archery & the general season opens this weekend or next.  Of course, blacktail & mulies are a little different from TX whitetails.

If you have some time & can get away, try to get yourself "embedded" in the woods.  See if you can get close enough to touch a deer.  If you can do that, then getting within 20 yards should be a cinch once you can bring your bow.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
Take up flint knapping. Your whole state is dang near one big knapping rock,lol. I try and grab a 5 gallon bucket of it on the way home in the winter months. Nothing beats shooting a deer with a stone point that you made.

Offline Kstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 03:12:00 AM »
You're only a few hours from the coast, and there are plenty of places to bowfish in wading/kayak distance. Texas whitetail behavior can be summarized in two sentences: If there is hunting pressure, they act like they do on hunting shows. If there is not, you can check/fill feeders on one side of a 3 acre field while they graze in the other. (I currently live near Corpus.)

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
Bisch is from Central Texas too.  He is a wealth of information and hunts a lot.  He could most likely give you some help.  Also, Bob Sarrels is located in Manchaca (South of Austin) and is a great Bowyer (I have 2 of his bows) and could also help you out.

Best of luck.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 08:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by D. Key:
Bisch is from Central Texas too.  He is a wealth of information and hunts a lot.  He could most likely give you some help.
Hey Doug, I've met up with Bisch a few times at a local trad league shoot! He just moved a ways further out of town, actually. I'm planning on hunting public this fall, which apparently can be a whole lotta crazy.    :smileystooges:   To my knowledge Jerry has always had a lease for his hunting here though.

I'm actually feeling more confident than I probably should at this point. I just can't wait for the dang season to get here!
Malachi C.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
I used to be in Central Texas! At the end of may I sold out and moved to West Texas,  Sonora to be exact. I absolutely love it out here too!!!!!

Bisch

Offline Jessebeaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 01:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I used to be in Central Texas! At the end of may I sold out and moved to West Texas,  Sonora to be exact. I absolutely love it out here too!!!!!

Bisch
Bisch did you do any public land hunting in when you were in Central TX?
2018 Bodnik Slick Stick 60" 45#
2017 Bodnik Slick Stick 58" 45#
2009 Martin Savannah 62" 50#
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
1968 Bear Grizzly 56" 50#
Osage Self Bow 66" 45#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
The only public hunting I have done in Central Texas a a couple days stomping around Granger Lake. Certainly not enough to have figured anything out, and that was a lot of years ago too.

Bisch

Offline Jessebeaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 01:19:00 AM »
10-4
2018 Bodnik Slick Stick 60" 45#
2017 Bodnik Slick Stick 58" 45#
2009 Martin Savannah 62" 50#
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
1968 Bear Grizzly 56" 50#
Osage Self Bow 66" 45#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Offline restless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
I have Hunted a bunch of years of public land in Texas, its getting more Crowded every Year and there's less of it. Type II land permits allow for some accesses but are few and far, And a lot of them no longer have Deer hunting. look for Corps of Engineers land not on Type II Bone up your skills be ready to bump lots of Folks who feel as if they have Claim to "their spot" and have Illegal Feeders and Stands. Welcome to Texas, the most Privately Owned State of this Republic.

Offline restless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »
PM me for my Phone I'll give you a Leg up.

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
What area are you hunting Trumpkin?
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©