3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bag target suggestions?  (Read 755 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Bag target suggestions?
« on: August 09, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »
I'm in need. My bag target is pathetic looking.
Need a new one.
I was also thinking of a stuff it yourself bag target.
And I wouldn't mind making up a new rack/holder to hang my new bag up. What has held up well for you? Thanks
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bag target suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
I've not found one in the last 10 - 12 years that has lasted at all unfortunately.  The bags simply don't hold up - the guts work great.  I've tried the "you-stuff-it" ones and the bag themselves are shot out in a season for me.  If your circumstances require a bag target - I got just as much life out of old feed sacks (you can get them from a farm & feed supply place) then I did from the actual "you-stuff-it" ones.  

The 1st bag target I bought lasted me over 10 years but for the life of me I cannot remember the brand!!!!  Everything I've tried since has not held up at all.  Mine is in a roofed target stand in my yard, so it is exposed to elements but not totally unprotected either.  

I've switched to the compressed bails from Tractor Supply.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
I just stuff feed and bird seed sacks with the grocery store plastic bags and/or shrink wrap.

Offline CDFingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
I use a coffee sack stuffed with recycled shrink wrap from back of Costco.  When I wear a hole in it, I take it down to C Bar D Feeds and they sew a new sack on for five bucks.

CDFingers
William Tell has stretched his bow 'till it won't stretch no further

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
If you know any truck drivers, see if they can get some of those airbags that are placed between certain freight items.

I used to work for a paper converting site. We would get rolls from the mills and often times they would place those heavy airbags between the rolls to prevent movement in transit.

Opened up and filled with plastic, they lasted for years, much longer than the U stuff it covers. By the way, I'm talking about the airbags that are woven plastic or vinyl not the paper ones.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
I had a bag one time that held up for a couple years at least.  It was called "The Big Green Target", made from recycled materials.  It could even handle wheelie shots.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
Thanks guy.
Yes the bag has to hold up to compounds as well as traditional gear.
I seen one from thirdhand that's a stuff yourself. I believe if you shoot it out he will replace it. That's the one I was looking into. Pretty large too.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
forget the bag targets, go to Tractor Supply and get the compressed hay bale. around 10.00
Ive go several 100 shots into mine and its still going strong.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »
I have had luck with the green hurricane bags.  Have had my recent one for several yrs, left out in all weather.
 A little faded but still stopping arrows.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 03:29:00 PM »
TS compressed bale is indeed great!  Just keep it dry.  Air bags for truck cargo stuffed w shrink wrap are great, free, and when you wear one out just stuff it in another.

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 05:21:00 PM »
I have one morrell that has lasted me for twenty years but is getting pretty worn out and bulging on the backside after a practice session.  for cheap money, you can buy or get free feed bags at your local farm supply and stuff old closthes in them.  they may wear out a little quicker but they are almost free and you can put your stuffing into the next bag.  paint your own target on the white bags.
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
Mine are four by four soy bean seed crates, tougher material than any comercial target last for years and the filling material is free as well, uses silage plastic.  I also have 3 by 3 of the same material that Vogel paint gets their pigment beads in.  They get a bunch of them through every day and are worth nothing to them.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
I'm not sure about your area..... but around here masonry supply businesses deliver sand in huge bags. They are similar to feed sacks, just much bigger and thicker. I've used them as replacement covers for the big morel targets.
The bags are nonreturnable, so most contractors will just give them to ya.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
Just don't accidentally buy an X-bow target. Once you ware a hole in the bag the arrows will just bounce off. I made,that mistake last yr.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 10:39:00 PM »
I went to hobby lobby and bought 2 yards of burlap then asked if they could stitch up the two sides and most of the top.  They hit it on the sewing machine for me for free.  I paid less than $10 and now I have a critter colored bag that has dots on one side and blank on the other to help me practice picking a spot.  It's filled with old worn out clothes.  When I change the oil or something I'll raid whatever is on top for a throw away rag and whenever clothing or cloth gets worn out it goes into the bag.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 10:57:00 PM »
I just bought burlap material from Hobby Lobby on clearance, but did not know they would sew it up! $2 a yard.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Kstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 01:56:00 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Craft-Burlap-Natural-Eco-friendly/dp/B00XYEG4GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502344436&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=burlap+sacks&psc=1

I put a bunch of old clothes and the guts of a previous target into one of these and spray painted targets on it. After a few thousand shots, I just slip a new one over it and repaint. It stops a 70lb Mathew's DXT.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
I buy the cheap bag at Academy Sports ($27.00). I do not use it for broad heads. Will last me for close to a year with recurves and long bows. I normally keep one in reserve,   :campfire:   and try to purchase when on sale or with coupon.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Third hand archery has the cover bags. You stuff them. 28.00 search them on google
High on Archery.

Offline Ranger193

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »
Third Hand Archery....my boys and I have shot the lights out of one and I have not seen it go down hill at all.  Had it about 4 mnths.  Has been my favorite one.
"Beauty is in the eye of the bow-holder."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©