3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters??  (Read 1373 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
NC hunters??
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
How yall doing?

Been twice seen alot of deer (Croatan too!??) one NICE buck two smaller bucks just no shots. Coula woulda shot a doe last night, it was two does and a fawn and I wasnt sure which one the fawn belonged to so I passed them up.

Walking out Saturday night and walked up right close to a bear he grunted growled popped his jaws and boogied off - got my attention to say the least. then had a rough 250 sow and two cubs under the set last night right at dark, had to stay up the tree waiting for them to leave.    :knothead:  

Been a good time! anybody putting meat in the freezer??

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
I've seen plenty of deer...just nothing I wanted to take so far. Seems every adult doe on my property has twin fawns in tow. No bucks seen from the stand yet but a little yearling spike, who got a pass.

Mark 1:17

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
With that excellent NC acorn crop last year, lots of healthy does had twin fawns.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
I recently relocated to North Carolina.  Haven't been out yet since I'm still trying to find places to hunt.  Have seen deer almost daily at the back of my yard though.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
I haven't been out yet. I was on call opening weekend and then hurricane Irma through a wrench into my plans. The weather is going to clear out tonight but guess what, I go back on call tomorrow.   :knothead:  maybe thursday. Good luck everyone.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
Saw 8 first morning- had 4 fawns w spots at 10 yds, but can't shoot them or mom like that- saw a small button same morning- he got a pass too-

Then I saw the man- nice 8 ptr- 75 yds away-

Can't wait to give it another go-
Josh

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »
get after them! I will miss this evening - wind is wrong anyhow and work wont let me out of a meeting at 1800! YUK ---

Bud got a good one I see I must have missed the thread. I will be out there thursday -
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
Awesome time in the woods this evening! Had 7 deer within 10 yards (not all at once). Finally had a big mule-faced doe with no fawns tagging along with her come in to about 8 yards eating acorns. She was a wise old gal too, constantly testing the air. She caught me at half-draw, perfectly broadside, as soon as she caught my draw movement, she turned facing me, head-bobbing and such. Finally had to let down and she never spooked as in like "lets get the ____ outta here!" type, but turned and walked away about 25 yards and turned and kept looking back. She finally eased off the way she came. She don't know how close she came to meeting a Zwickey. Maybe next time.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
The big does are hard to fool. Good luck on the return!

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:28:00 PM »
Same here, does with fawns. Rubs and scrapes showing up daily.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »
I've seen lots of nice deer.  Does, fawns and a couple of nice 6 points.  Trouble is, they're just milling around my yard ....

Could fill all my tags with a hammer.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »
My prospects are improving!  I just got written permission to hunt 10 private acres, surrounded by 60 more.  So, I donated a day of labor building a foot bridge over one of the streams on the property.  Not close enough to hunt after work, but plenty close enough for a weekend drive.  I'll wait a couple of weeks for the weather to cool a bit, then test the waters!

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
I'm still seeing lots of does with fawns tagging along. This evening had (I believe the same one from earlier in the week, same stand) a big mule-faced doe come in, another big doe and her twin fawns had already been around me for about 15 minutes eating acorns. I think to myself..."here comes fresh backstraps!" As soon as she got with 20 yards, I got turned and fingers on the string anticipating a shot, then suddenly the mama doe ran at her and ran her away from the oaks! She tried to come back in about 5 minutes later and as soon as she got within 15 yards of the trees, mama doe ran at her again, grunting and such. This time she wandered on off. Was a fun evening in the stand anyhow. Hopefully some bucks Ive got pictures of on my trail camera will start showing up sometime soon in daylight.

Good luck with the new property, Rough-Run. Keep us updated with hunt reports!

Hows everyone else's first full week of season going?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
I will head out some Monday and Tuesday. Haven't been since opening day. Looking for cooler weather.

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
Had a small 6 point under me last night.   Gave him a pass

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »
Good luck guys I live in ky but my heart belongs to the Carolinas
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
From the NC Wildlife Update:

Rabies-Infected Deer Found in Cherokee County

After the Wildlife Commission recently confirmed a rare case of rabies in a deceased deer in Cherokee County, the agency is asking hunters who encounter a deer exhibiting disease symptoms or who come across a dead deer with no hair on its head (a common sign in rabies-infected deer) to call the Wildlife Commission at 866-318-2401. The agency also is advising hunters to take precautions when handling harvested deer.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
Just got back into town from Wyoming elk hunt so have not had an opportunity to get out yet. However, going to try for the end of the upcoming week.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »
Matt Quick and Kevin Steinmetz both got nice Does in September. We have a lot of scouting done and we are looking good for October, especially after that initial bright moon phase. We hunt public land and private land and both have improved for us. Should have good reports soon.
<><
<-------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©