Author Topic: limb stack ?  (Read 388 times)

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
limb stack ?
« on: October 08, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
I picked up some myrtle veneers from Idaho Curt a while back and have decided now is the time to build a bow with them. They are .02 thick. I am going to build a 64" TD LB with a 15" riser. Mild r/d with parallel lams. I have been ordering from Binghams and lettting them do the math but I figured with all the great veneers I have been seeing on the classifieds I better get with the program and figure it out for myself. Where do I measure the stack thickness at on the limb? How do I determine how thick for the draw weight i am trying to achieve? (I am looking for #55 @ 28") Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: limb stack ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Jim, if you are reproducing a bow you have built before but just want to change the weight of the bow I would measure the total stack just after where your fadeouts end. Then use this tool to determine your new stack.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=006396;p=2

When calculating your new stack thickness include the thickness of your veneers in the total stack.

Hope all goes well and hope you get a chance to post some pictures of your progress.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Some time ago I got a excel chart from Jason on how to calculate the stack of a longbow with a mild d/r-profile. The values are for a bow with an 18" riser, but it can be adapted quite easy. You can download it here...

http://www.swissbow.com/swissbow_eng/download_eng.html

BTW: I would make the total stack about 0.410 inches.

----------
Andy

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
Andy is pretty sharp on his bowyer skills.

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Thanks.
Andy's book is exactly what i am looking for.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©