3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: good enough for huntin (a test)  (Read 979 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: good enough for huntin (a test)
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
I have to agree first three arrows is closest to hunting.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline ottertails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Hmmmph....think thats good shootin?!!  Well I'll show ya!......as soon as I get the right camera and learn how'ta post pictures (behind the times I am). Matter of fact I'll even take one shot at a time spaced at least an hour apart. 8^))))

For sale: Canon Eos Elan

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
cacciatore- your groups are impressive, but that isnt was really impresses me.  I am impressed by how well you group with so many different bows.  I shoot 3 out of 5 of my bows good, and the other two I cant shoot, lol.  Good shooting.
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
Thanks Chris but I work few and shoot lot.LOL
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
the first three are for warmin up and last time I checked you were allowed to warm up before you go. If you don't like the rules then you don't have to play. I want three shot groups... So that is what I asked for.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline LeTuB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Predator Man:
3 to warm up but then 3 for the pic?  and there supposed to be a hunting group?  When did the deer start letting you have 3 warm up arrows?
I lived this last summer on a roe deer buck,that I shot from a tree stand....3 "warm up" shots 2 inches over his back!!! the problem was I only had 3 arrows in my quiver..I can still hear him laughing at me
But the good thing is that I know that my bow is whisper quiet
Caribow wolverine&Tuktu TD
Timberghost G3ss

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
just a hunter, I'm sure even if you can't group well a five in circle should give plenty of room for you at 15 yards. You might surprise yourself.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by ottertails:
Hmmmph....think thats good shootin?!!  Well I'll show ya!......as soon as I get the right camera and learn how'ta post pictures (behind the times I am). Matter of fact I'll even take one shot at a time spaced at least an hour apart. 8^))))

For sale: Canon Eos Elan
Now thats a great idea
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Personally, I have always thought groups were overrated. I find that shooting unique spots is better practice.

I would also add that proper practice is a good thing but making the shot in hunting situations is different and requires additional skills.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by LV2HUNT:
Personally, I have always thought groups were overrated. I find that shooting unique spots is better practice.

I would also add that proper practice is a good thing but making the shot in hunting situations is different and requires additional skills.
I agree huntin shots require different skills, but as to group being overated... I'm not so sure. A group is just shooting the same spot over and over. It is no different than shooting at one spot. What it does do is show you flaws in shooting style suck as dropping bow arm, which is why I usually seem to shoot low. Or plucking the string. Whatever the case may be. Would ypu agree that an arrow makes for a pretty unique spot, pick it and then whatta know... A group is born. :-)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I can shoot really tight groups, I mean really tight as long as I limit the number of arrows I shoot to one...lol

I'd love to play and if I can remember to do it once this computer gets fixed I'll post one.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline CaliCreole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
so if your groups are off how do you diagnose what the cause was for example if you pluck the string where does your shot go and if you drop bow arm etc? i will try this test when i get home but just curious how to diagnose issues once i see my grouping
Bear State Archers
Riverside archers
Martin Bushmaster 55#

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
I don't know maybe it is just me but sometimes groups feel like you are "walking them in". Whereas a sigle unique spot requires you to lock in to a different spot each time.

The problem with an arrow already being there as a spot is that you rarely shoot at an animal with an arrow to use as a spot. Not never, but rarely.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
you are right, the second shot is always easier, but that is assuming that your first shot was in the right place to begin with!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
It ain't 15 yards but it's 20 yards. Does that count? Note that one of them is a bare shaft.

:goldtooth:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
true you rarely get to shoot at an animal with an arrow in it and if you do the arrah proley aint where is is supposed to be anyway, but if you can pick one spot, why can't you pick a different one? Bryon ferguson says that the center of everything is the same so... Lets see some groups. When I started bowhuntin at 12, my father said I couldn't go until I could hit the bullseye, which was a three inch circle, 6 out of 7 times at 20 yards. I practiced for months until I could. I did the same thing with a recurve at 25 years old. I think it was a good way to show I was ready for the woods. I did make my bullseye a five inch circle when I dropped my training wheels though.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
I used to find if I shot 5 arrows and 5 groups my best arrow in the group and best group was the 5th on average.  I dialed in as I shot.  Now I find I get lazy or shift into checking my release, anchor, or bow follow through, and my groups go down hill.  Often I will shot the first group well and the first arrow the best.  

I plan to mostly rove when the weather breaks.  Last time I went out I was seriously accurate at all kinds of ranges to 25 yd. with one shot per stump, stick, leaf..... Then I went back and started shooting groups at 20 yd., and everything went down the tubes.  I have some work to do if I want to be as good paper target shooter.

I just got home and it is dark, but as soon as I get a bite to eat I will light up the target with the truck lights and see what I can do.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
We should try this outside in  winter 35 degrees or below in a t-shirt(pink just to add to the mind game) and at near dark.Who's game first three shots?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Well it is not 35 below, but below freezing anyway.  No t-shirt, but a heavy winter coat, and no arm guard.  Not close to dark, but after dark in the truck lights;  That made it a little hard for me shooting in a shadow.  I will have to try it again the next time I have daylight.

First three and second three in order.  Third arrow was the high one in the first three.  I couldn't see real good where I was shooting, and I think I peaked.

Those were with the cell phone flash.  It looked more like this shooting.  There is a black hole target just to the right throwing some shadow.  I couldn't tell real well where the hits were other than seeing the shaft shadows kind of across the target.  Looks like I need a little more practice for shooting coons in the spot light.

1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©