3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting Aerials....  (Read 430 times)

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting Aerials....
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
What a blast! I went out with a buddy and his kids today to get some practice in for a pheasant hunt! It took a couple arrows but I surprised myself on how close I would actually get once I waited for it to top out! Then when I started hitting them I was like a kid in a candy store, I didn't want to leave!

What do you guys use for Discs? He had some made up from card board glued and taped on the edges, works perfect!

Now I just hope these darn pheasants fly just like these discs did today, with a little hang time!     :pray:      :biglaugh:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Aerials....
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
I would love to try some aerial shooting, sounds like you had a blast. And good luck with the roosters.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Plastic bucket lids break arrows. but softballs work pretty good.

Great fun
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
We use old nerf footballs the kids have laying around. And they are about the same size and shape as a pheasant.
GLENN

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
Glenn, that is a great idea, I would of never thought of that one!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Ojibwa Bowhunters

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
We prefer clay pigeons, but I wish they made ones that only broke if you hit them or ones that did not break at all.  I take longer shots at pheasants than I do at deer, the clays get out there far enough for the rangey shots we get around here.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
Nerf balls, doubled up card board and the styrofoam craft balls all work, I have even used hand thrown clay pigeons. My favorite though is made from the same 3 inch thick foam as many targets and is the size of a frisbee, I got it at sportsman's warehouse for about 4 bucks! I just checked and it says "hips targets" on the face above and bellow the bulls eye. You think the targets are fun just wait till you start busting birds! I have everything from Bunnies to bears available to hunt but it's ducks that get my vote for most fun with trad gear!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
Got a link, geuss I got mine on sale or have a bad memory the site sells them for $9.99

http://www.hipstargets.com/products/aerial-target/
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline badbadleroybrown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
How many layers of cardboard is ideal for an aerial target?

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 02:44:00 AM »
Years ago I had a traditional get together on my farm.  I had a 3d course, a 100 field shot at a standard 4'x4' target face w/a 9" Bulls eye , speed round shooting, shooting from horse back Of,etc.  all these events shooting at helium filled  balloons was the most fun.  In a cut 20acre hayfield, with tank of helium (rented) we released them down wind from the shooters.  Balloons released 10-15yds out front of shooters in 10-15mph down wind.  Simulated a slow flushing pheasant flying downwind.  Often you could get off a second long shot at one. It was about as much fun as you can have w/ your clothes on.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 03:20:00 AM »
I use an old frisbee.  Made for throwing and works great.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
I use a disc I cut out of an old foam broadhead target. It was flat and about 2 inches thick and I cut a disc about 10 inches or so from it. I use rubber blunts on my arrows so they don't stick into the disc so there's no danger of the arrow sticking in it and then breaking off when it falls to the ground because the disc is relatively heavy.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by badbadleroybrown:
How many layers of cardboard is ideal for an aerial target?
Not to sure on how many layers but my buddies are about 1.5 inches thick. He made about a dozen of them which is perfect, shoot at 12 and go collect your arrows that way you don't loose them.

I'm going to make mine so the fit just inside a 5 gallon bucket for easy storage!    :thumbsup:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline WVeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I glue up cardboard to a thickness of about 1 1/2 inch.  Then I draw circles of various diameters using cans as a templetes.  I try to use all available space on the card board sheet so I have various size discs from 5 inches to 12 inches.  I then cut them out with the band saw.  We throw them up in the air as well as roll them on the ground to simulate rabbits.  You don't have to use fluflus when you roll them.....just a good blunt.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
A fun target that I use to use is Frisbees with Styrofoam cups taped to the top with masking tape. I think that makes more realistic practice for bird shooting. Here's an old video clip from Fred Trost  Michigan Outdoors TV show.    

http://www.tradgang.com/videos/ronlaclair/ronl-4.wmv
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ottertails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
I bought a case each of 7" & 9" cardboard pizza circles...aka cake circles, from a rest. supply co. Tape 4-6 together for aerial shooting & 10 together for rolling on the ground. Also use Nerf footballs, tennis balls, you name it. My sons & I especially like taking turns kicking the nerfs around to simulate bunny hunting... they take those unexpected hops....Great practice, great fun!

Offline GangStarr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
i went to HomeDepot bought a 4x8 sheet of foam siding backer the green stuff.
cut out 8,10,and 12inch disks.  then with clear packing tape, taped 3 disks and cardboard on the out side together sprayed a dot and shooting we awent!!
you get about 10-12 targets total from a 4x8 sheet of backer
i prefer shooting the 8 inch disks
and yes FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
I think the pheasants will be easier in a way, but I really dont know for sure.  From some of the videos I have seen it looks pretty darn hectic, but on the flip side they seem to sometimes stall like right in your face?  I use the good ole foam target, but I dont think I will after seeing what you all are using!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
If you really want to get ready for a pheasant hunt, shoot at clay pigeons coming off a normal thrower.  I haven't found anything better for hunt prep.  It helps in training you to get that shot off before the bird gets out there too far.  Everything else is fun and rounds out your shooting skill, but if you are serious about pheasants, stick to clays out of a thrower.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©