3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Supernatural experience  (Read 20407 times)

Offline bpjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Supernatural experience
« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
A few years back I was staying up at the cabin for a few days, just me and my black labs, Snoopy and Jake. Late one evening, about 2am, I awoke in a terrible fright. I was laying in bed on my left side, so I was able to look directly down the stairs to the ground level. There was a dark shape coming up the stairs. Now this cabin is in a remote area, about 60 miles south of the Canadian border, and it was a moonless night. It was so dark you literally could not see your hand in front of your face. Nevertheless, there was something blacker than the night coming up the stairs towards me. I was quite literally paralyzed, I could not move. I also felt an intense chill, even though it was late summer.

An amorphous darkness floated up towards me, and then stopped just short of me. It gained definition on the left and top sides. The darkness had an edge, a place where it definitely stopped and mere night began. The right and bottom edges had no such definition, and the thing's boundaries seemed to ebb and flow, and fade in and out like a black mist. All the while I remained immobile with terror.

Although rooted with terror, I never sensed evil or malevolence, just iciness and "other". I have no words to explain what I felt, it was something entirely beyond my comprehension of emotion. But it was cold, and it was powerful, and it was terrifying.

Then I felt an icy cold hand, as frigid as anything I have ever felt, reach around and grab my neck from the rear, but the fingers did not seem to stop at my flesh, but slipped through the muscles and settled on my bones. Then another hand caressed my spine from top to bottom. I felt this thing was glad I was there, and the thought of what could gladden a thing such as this only added depth to my fear.

Then it smoothly pulled back and began to dissolve into tatters, like smoke in the wind. The pieces drifted quickly to the east and dissolved.

I was left shivering in my bed, repeating the Lord's Prayer over and over as soon as I had recovered enough to gain control of my faculties. It was some time before I could find enough courage to reach out and turn on the light.
55# 56" Bear Black Panther
52# 66" Hoyt Gold Medalist
42# 58" Bear Kodiak Hunter
45# 62" Pearson Colt
50# 66" Root Rangemaster
45# 64" Bear Kodiak

Offline Bighornangler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
I don't know if you could classify this as supernatural but it was weird.Several years back I was bowhunting and at that time you had to shoot a doe before you could shoot a buck where I live. I'm up in my treestand with a stone wall 15 feet in front of me and here comes this nice eight point buck straight towards me. Now of course I hadn't shot my doe yet, so I knew I had to pass on the buck. I just froze. The buck came over the wall and walked past the tree I was in about 15 feet on my left. I swear I did not move until he was past me and even then I  only moved my head ever so slowly using my eyes. I swear he did not see me or see any movement. Then for no apparent reason when he got about 10 feet beyond me he just stopped, turned his head, and looked straight up at me. Any movement of my head which I said was hardly any at all, was made well before he stopped. Six sense or what?

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Here's hoping the woods are always filled with this kind of mystery and magic. The day I know everything that's out there is the day I loose interest in trekking afield.

Anyways, I have only one "supernatural" experiance outdoors. It concerns my first deer, and TG member adkmountainken. You see, Ken is my mentor. My guide to all things outdoors. A while back, Ken hung a stand on a northwoods mountainside he named the medicine stand. A stand I've since become quite taken with.
 It was November 2009. My seventh year of trying for a deer. Never used a gun, just a longbow. In hopes of accomplishing this task, I hunted harder than ever before. I'd come close, even taken my first shot at a deer. But no cigar. So in desperation, I took four days off work and stayed with Ken's mother, devoting all my time to the nearby deer woods.
 It had been a blast, to say the least. Squirrels, turkey, coyotes, and even deer...all gave me lasting impressions to come away with. However, come afternoon of the last day, I still had nothing on the ground. So, it came time to make a decision.
 Here is where the smart hunter would have chosen to hunt a nearby property in the southern zone of the state. Flat ground, a short walk from the car, deer were adequately patterned and quite plentiful. Plus, it was still bow season only. On the mountain in the northern zone, the deer were more dispersed, the terrain more aggressive, and a gun season was just kicking off. Poor odds, but there is no more beautiful a view than out of the medicine stand. If I was coming home empty handed again, I may as well enjoy myself. So, I donned my wool clothing and took that mountain trail for all it was worth.
 Here is where the mystic experiance takes place. After climbing into the stand and sitting a few hours without game, I began to get ansy. It happens alot, and was always the cause for my lack of bigger game. No action, and stumps and squirrels became very appealing to me. I was about to get down and fling some arrows for a bit, when the hawk cried out above me.
 Now, Adkmountainken has always claimed the redtailed hawk as his medicine animal. He's had this connection with them in the most spiritual of ways. So when a hawk suddenly appeared overhead, while I sat in a stand Ken himself had hung, I took it as a sign. More so when the bird began to over over two specific points; one a valley 100 yards in front of me, and the other was a point on the deer trail that ran past my stand. He went from one point to the next, before soaring off with a final cry. It was right then that I decided I would sit still until dark. I didn't care if my butt fell off, cause of that cold metal chair, and if I saw nothing the entire time. I was staying.
 Well, about an hour after the experiance, I heard crashing in the woods. Not like a squirrel darting through the leaves. Not even turkey's made this much noise. It was as if the local track team had decided to take a practice run up; that mountain.
 Sure enough, out bursts a pair of does, running full bore 100 yards away. Now, I'd only seen 1 deer prior on this mountain, but what's more impressive is that they came from the valley the hawk had circled over. They disappeared down the mountainside, but were soon followed by two more does. Does that wouldn't even stop for a grunt call. I wasn't really surprised when the 6-point came hot on there heels.
 I felt a twinge of sadness as I realized they would lead him down the mountain as well, far away from me. That sadness faded, however, when the first two does appeared on the deer trail that led under my stand. Appeared right where the hawk had also circled, and continued toward my stand. They led that buck right into my range, and some hours later, I was having pictures taken with my hands wrapped around those glossy antlers.

Call it what you will. Its that little memory that I take out when I need reminding that there's something bigger pulling the strings out there. And for what it's worth, thank you Ken...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: February 24, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Justin Black:
Hey poison arrow it sounds like you saw a Faun which was a Roman spirit of the woods.
It does sound like that. He even said that he was in pine flats.

"The faun is a half human  - half goat (from the head to the waist being the human half, but with the addition of goat's horns) manifestation of forest and animal spirits which would help or hinder humans at whim. Romans believed fauns inspired fear in men traveling in lonely, remote or wild places but were also capable of guiding humans in need.

These beliefs have their roots in Greek mythology - Nonnus' Dionysiaca gives the following description of the faun's relationship with nature:
“    ...leader into the forest of pines was Phaunos (Faunus) who was well practiced in the secrets of the lonely thickets which he knew so well, for he had learnt about the highland haunts of Kirke his mother."
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: February 24, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
A trip to Cohutta with Terry Green is supernatural.  Especially when he appears from out of nowhere in the dense fog wearing a tie-died sleeveless shirt and the famous salad hat!

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by fnshtr:
I often talk to God in the wild... yeah, supernatural experience every time I do!
Yep X2. Same here.  :thumbsup:
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I knew this gal some 25 years ago, her name was Sue Perdue.....and every time this thread pops up it reminds of her

Not sure why, but it does.

:dunno:

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
I have really enjoyed this thread!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: February 24, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
bpjohn,

You're giving Stephen King a run for his money there!
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
I have read the whole thread, and I have but two stories from the whole of my life to share. I have only ever had these 2 things happen to me that were supernatural, and they both occurred in the same place: Naval Air Station Patuxent River, MD. Before these 2 things happened I did not believe in a 'super natural' world.

Story 1:

I was 18 or 19 years old and a fresh face on base, not more than 6 months out of boot camp. I was stationed in the barracks at the time, as I was not yet an NCO and could  not live off base. The barracks were essentially a giant modular building with eight, 2 man rooms, and a community bathroom.

My roommate was a guy named Tim from Up State New York. He was a nice, clean, quiet guy, and we respected each other's space. That goes a long way when your 'house' is 15 feet by 8 feet.

Anyhow, Tim would always wake up before me and shuffle around the room before heading to the gym before work. I would hear him moving around the room, but in the most subtle "half awake/half asleep" mode that you find yourself in sometimes. You know, when you can hear everything around you, know what is going on around you, but your eyes aren't open and you are sort of still asleep.

Well, this particular morning it is about 0615; just before first light. I am lying warm in my bed on my stomach and I start to hear Tim moving around the room. Then it dawns on me... It is SUNDAY and Tim is in New York. Who the hell is in my room?? At the exact moment of this thought dawning on me I feel all the hair on the back of my neck shoot straight up. Then I feel a weight pushing down on my back, pushing me hard against the bed. It felt as though a large man was putting all his weight onto my back, preventing me from turning over or moving. The weirdest part however was that I could not open my eyes at all. I remember straining so hard to open my eyes. Then in an instant it felt almost as though the weight JUMPED off my back. I opened my eyes, sat straight up, and the room was empty.

I'll just share that one for now.

Offline Karebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
I love this thread! But it’s so long, that  I haven’t been able to finish reading it. I always start back at the beginning and run out of time. I’ll have to mark my place so I can get through it all… Great Stories!
I have a “super natural” story or two of my own, but they don’t have anything to do with the woods or hunting. So I’ll leave them out. Let’s just say that I have come to believe from personal experience.

I will share an odd animal behavior story, though...
About thirty years ago, mid afternoon, on a bright, sunny day, I was enjoying a walk in the woods. I head out along a power line, carrying a lever action 22, and was plinking pine cones and such. It was in a typical south Florida, pine and palmetto flatland, with  heavy scrub growing in the ditches on either side of the built up access road. I had walked about three quarters of a mile, when something made me turn around and look. There in the middle of the path, about twenty yards behind me, was a bobcat. We stood there staring at each other for a while. Then it turned and slinked off into the scrub on the east side of the trail. I went on another two  or three hundred yards, and had forgotten about the cat, when I heard a crunch in the dry palmettos to my left. It was the bobcat again. It was standing there, not more than a dozen yards away, just staring at me through a break in the scrub. The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I stood there looking back into it’s hypnotic eyes. I didn’t know what else to do, so I gave him a “right between the eyes” shot with the Winchester, and he dropped in his tracks.
Broad daylight… Anything but “cat like” stealth… Stalking something five times it’s own weight…
What do you think?… Rabies?
I should have kept the pelt… Why didn’t I keep the pelt?  :dunno:
Kanati 60" 48#@29"
Kanati 60" 38#@29"
There are only two types of leaders. Those bloated by power, and those humbled by responsibility.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
I didn't think this thread would go this far. It seems to be a favorite. My daughter just read some of these stories, she's 19 and will be sleeping with a night light tonight.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by kill shot:
I didn't think this thread would go this far. It seems to be a favorite. My daughter just read some of these stories, she's 19 and will be sleeping with a night light tonight.
:biglaugh:

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
the most amazing tidbit from this thread is on like the fourth page with the late Brian Krebs taking about knowing that something is going to happen, then it does.....He past not long ago and here he is...telling us he knows we know!
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
i was guiding elk hunters in the eaglecap wilderness and one day while waiting for everyone else to get back from picking up hunters myself and a wrangler were sitting in camp.he asked me to show him how to bugle with a reed and grunt tube.i let out a mild bugle and it was answered immediatly by some strange roar from across the minam river.no bear,elk mountain lion or anything else in them mountains that sound like that.i bugled again only to have the roar answer even louder and closer.we started hearing large river rocks being thrown into the water.scared the hell outta both of us.the river was less than a hundred yards from camp.talk about no sleep.i was blinkin like a hoot owl all night.nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin chairs.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
Back in 1982 I was coaching cross-country and took a group of boys to the Indiana Dunes in Michigan City, In to train for a week. It was late at night and I decided to take a walk to get away from camp and went down to the beach on lake Michigan. About a half mile away coming in my direction was a patrol type suv spot lighting the beach and water. I quickly got into the water and went out quite a ways and was having fun of dipping under the water as the patrol spot light glided over the water I was under. The patrol car left and I was standing in water that was about shoulder level..it was clear, stars and a pretty good moon light above. All of a sudden a young lady comes out of the water from I dont know where and says to be "what are you doing" . I was shocked as I did not know where the hell she came from but noticed she was upset. She told me her husband beat the hell out of her and she needed to get away from him. I told her how I was ditching the cop lights and next thing I knew, she was gone. I never told anyone about this story until a group of my fellow teachers were telling ghost stories(20 years later) and I decided to finally break the silence on this one. One of the teachers said "oh my god, there is several accounts about Diana of the Shores in the Michigan City, Indiana area. As the story goes, back in like 1904, I man and wife were livin in the area and Diana drunken jealous husband beat her to a pulp and she died. Several stories of Diana appeared over the years in the area. I did'nt believe it until I did a google search on ghost stories across america where you could go to individual states and click on to see ghost stories... Sure enough, it was there, the story about Diana of the Shores. This is a true story that really happened to me.....
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2011, 03:17:00 AM »
This is just amazing,these are the most interesting storys I have ever read.I have been reading this all the way thru from page 1 to 19.I have not had any thing happen to me as such in these stories.It's 2am now,but could not walk away from this.I am 47 years old and things doin't really scare you any more.I live in the country and my backyard buts up to about 25,000 acres of national forest,No body behind me for miles.My computer sets in an area that use to be the utility room in our home,there is a door that goes into the garage.This is our main way of travel in and out of the house.My teen age daughter left about 8pm with her friends .My wife told me earlier that she was spending the nite with her friends.My wife is asleep my son is in his room asleep.Just me the computer and these stories.I am on the last page (19),feeling kinda spooky from reading these ghostly incounters when all of a sudden the door from the garage flies open!! Its my daughter and a friend...I almost S...T my pants.The dogs did not bark no warning at all someone was here.Holy Crap!!!! Its time to go to bed,can't wait to show my wife this thread.WOW
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Once actully 3 times I heard a shot bow season. Only me ang another guy and his son hunts the farm. All 3 times I looked for the guy all 3 tmes it was in the same hollow all 3 times I could smell black power.
  Ran into the son at a country store. Told him my story. He said ya it's just DAN HE USE TO LIVE WHERE THE OLD FOUNDATION IS top of the hollow. He's just squrril hunting. I've heard the shots a couple times smell the smoke.
    But dad see's the guy always walking up the hill in that hollow carrying a squrril. But when he going up the hill dad can never catch up. And he's gone when dad tops the hill at the foundation. We leave that hollow to DAN for the last few years.
   I do the same.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©