3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Customizing a custom bow??????????  (Read 421 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Customizing a custom bow??????????
« on: April 03, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Have you ever received a bow and not been totally happy with the grip? So, you take out a rasp or file and do a little customizing of your own? I ask this because I have bought a few used bows back when I was trying to see what I liked. They just didn't feel right. Knowing now what I do I could of made a few of those bows shoot a lot better for me if I had just done a little work on them.  Of course you have to know what you want it to be before you start taking wood away...and even if that bow can be brought to where you want it to be. Some have such small grips or the design is such that taking wood away isn't an option.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Customizing a custom bow??????????
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
I sure have.  :rolleyes:    I have purchased more than one used bow with gawd awful custom grips and found myself turning them on to someone else in short order.  :(   Taking a rasp/file to a nice used bow was just too risky for me to attempt.   :scared:
Lon Scott

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Though I understand the dilemma, altering the grip as it came from the builder would likely reduce the bow's resale value by quite a bit.  On the other hand, sometimes it can be done without changing the overall look and style and refinished so as few would notice.  I've seen some real hatchet jobs though.  Basically ruined the bow.  

I've shot a lot of different bows over the years, and found most grips fairly accommodating.  When I would find one I just couldn't live with, I would sell it rather than reshaped it.  But, to each his own.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
hah!  doing that right now to an ed neat longbow.  the handle was too square on the back side and it needed to get closer to centershot.  nothing a bit of rasping couldn't handle.  got some polyu drying on it now, another 6 coats or so to go, then i'll make a new lace grip.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
I've done it a lot.I've had custom makers do a grip like I wanted but I have purchased some used custom bows and that wasn't an option.I try to not do anything that will weaken the handle.That usually means leaving the throat area alone-the thinnest spot.I also try to not change the overall look.A few subtle changes will make it fit my hand better and usually doesn't detract for other people either.I just feel that noone can fine tune the fit without my hand being in the equation.I usually spend a lot of time with a bow first,making sure it really needs it and that I really intend to keep it a long time.I have a couple nice,cabinet maker's rasps and I'm not afraid to use them.You do need to have the ability to redo and blend the finish in that area or be able to do a quality refinish to the whole bow.For some people,a better option would be to send it back to the maker or one of the gents that do bow repair work.

Offline ottertails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
I've taken a rasp and a dremel to a custom bow I ordered 20 yrs ago from a very famous bowyer....grip just wasn't right and it was just sitting on the rack eventually. I wasn't about to sell it so I reworked the grip and WOW...my shooting accuracy increased ten-fold with that bow.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
NO Lon! The Blacktail's grip fits me perfectly.  But I made a bow and shot it for awhile and found out that I wanted the grip to be a little different. So I changed it. Since then I have thought of some bows that were highend bows that now I, if I still owned them, would take a file to and do some customizing for myself.

Rob, sounds like you are bringing up to today's standards. I think of the older bows that had flat shelves that would benefit from radiusing them.  I know that some will think this is just not right...taking a "vintage" bow and going after it with a file.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
this ed neat longbow is quite interesting.  ed made it a year or so ago and it's the only one he backed with glass (over ipe for the back), the riser and belly lams are osage, but no glass on the belly.  at 45# this bow is purty darned fast with 10gpp+ 465gr arrows and that surprised me.  it was waaay off centershot so i called up ed and asked if changing the arrow plate, shelf and grip front end would be an ok thing to do, got his blessings.  this is gonna be one fun longbow paired up with cane arrows.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Rasp, dremel, sandpaper...used them all....Bob Morrison said I even used a hammer on one to get the grip where I wanted it before I sent it back to him for refinishing. Course, he was exaggerating a mite    :rolleyes:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
This ain't good, you guys make me want to try it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
It doesn't matter how expensive/custom it is...it's just a piece of wood until you get the grip right...THEN it's a bow. The first one is tough to get your courage up. It get's easier about the 10th or so.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
.....and when you can afford your mistakes. LOL
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
It was the fear of "ruining" one that put me off for a long time; sold a few good bows that I was too scared of modifying the grip. Then I realized that if I go slow you're not doing anything the bowyer wouldn't be doing. Not many serious mistakes to be made shaping the grip...just don't use the dremel for the first one    :D

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I have modified every gun I own.But I still fear screwing up a bow.One day I will take the plunge.Good on you guys for having the ca hones' for making it fit.   :clapper:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
'if it don't fit, you must FIX IT, or sell it'   :D

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
I have wanted to, never went that far.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
I've customized just about every bow I've ever owned bd  

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Boy you guys have alot more guts then I do. Its a neat idea to do your own customizing, its the knowledge I lack! Good for you guys  :notworthy:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
ain't no big deal - a small flat/oval rasp, abrasive cloth and papers from 60 through 600 or 1200 grit, lots of elbow grease.  it's important to go through all the different file and grit stages, in order to eliminate any toothing or abrasive marks.  

sometimes it's good to stain or flame the raw wood before applying a finish, to bring out the grain.  

i usually seal the wood with a wiped on coat of quality thin cya, or do a 'massey finish' (epoxy thinned with acetone), then the final clear coats which are usually min wax wipe on gloss polyu.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
if it's doesn't fit then is it really custom?? isn't taht part of why people buy "custom" bows. Like someone on here said if it doesn't fit it ain't a bow.

if you're buying a bow to hunt with get/fix a rip that works otherwise it's just a pretty stick.

won't most bowyers/companies custom fit the grip if you ask??
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©