3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: beaver with bowfishing gear?  (Read 609 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: beaver with bowfishing gear?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
For years there was actually a bounty paid on beavers in some counties in Mississippi, and I've collected my share. They're destructive to crops and forest land when they flood an area, and the hides are not of the quality found in colder climates.

If you trap, make sure it's a drowning set for a leg-hold, or use one of the killer traps. They will chew a foot off, and that's not a pleasant thing to find. If you shoot them with a gun, a .22 is not enough. I've shot one behind the shoulder, and then seen the same beaver the next day in the same place, apparently unhurt. A shotgun with buckshot works well. A well-placed broadhead will work well, too, but retrieval can be a problem. They sink.

I hate skinning them, because you have to cut every inch. The hide won't pull off at all. Fleshing is also a pain. I don't mess with them any more.

If your landowner friend can get a depredation permit, they're most easily shot at night with a light.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
So I guess bear hunting is out of the question for you guys too? LOL. Just shoot him and be done with it. I agree they can be tough to kill.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Shelton:
That is kinda suprising that they are considered a nusiance down south and not up north there in Canada.  Here in MD we can not shoot them we have to trap them during the set season.  Even the government nusiance trappers have to trap them I think?
I'm a nuisance animal trapper in Maryland and I have to get a special permit from DNR outside of the regular trapping season.  Doesn't really make sense, you can't live trap and relocate them because they say they are a nuisance.  So why the special permit.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Makes me think of a certain Jeff Foxworthy routine  :laughing:    :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ottertails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Check your state game laws! Toughest critter there is to skin....only did one and that was enuff...for me anyway.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I agree with others you should get that act on tape Too Funny Guess you never shot a beaver they can be quite a handfull when under attack you should talk to Ozy Clint mabe a float and big game fishing rod But straight hooked on your Bow you Must be a little crazy it will make a good story good luck keep us posted  :D    :knothead:
Gord

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
I was thinking about the same set up as you for a trip to Finnland, there you have to shoot em with some kind of line set up. As penetration and accuracy suffer from a fish arrow i found a way to fix a line set up to a normal hunting arrow. Then you need a lot of line, as it doesnt work like a fishing set up, you shoot, you need to make a good vital shot, then let the beaver flee and die, only if there are bad snags you try to change his direction, otherwise you nlet him die and get the dead beaver with the line, kind of string tracking.
(puuh, sorry for the long sentence   :) )

If i can find the pics of the how to make these arrows and you wanna see ill show it.

Ohh, and please all of you, ok a beaver has big teeth, but it is fairly slow when out of water and not a leg breaking hand chewing monster!
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
Use a gun...and a pair of waders or a boat.I've thought about it too as I have nusiance beavers next door(Well,had..they moved out). Nusiance cases are better solved with a gun.Using a bow to do a gun's job is just playing around when there's a real issue.

And don't post about it on the net.   "[dntthnk]"
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 05:44:00 AM »
"If you trap, make sure it's a drowning set for a leg-hold, or use one of the killer traps. They will chew a foot off, and that's not a pleasant thing to find"

There called foot hold traps and they don't chew there foot off they twist it off because of porely made traps not properley rigged up with swivels or a drowning rig from the factory.Talk to a pro trapper in your area he can show you the right traps.

Like they said use drowning rigs and conibears and keep it as humane as possible. There very tuff critters so anchor your traps for bear it never hurts. It's easy to pull there hides off after just a few cuts but they do take more than most. They meat is very ediable also so even if you dont want it feed it to your dogs they will love ya for it.   :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Yellow Dog,

I was thinking the same thing!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
One of the funniest storys I ever heard came from just such an idea! I don't remember the fellars name but he told it around the campfire at Cloverdale last year! I wouldn't try it after hearing his tale! It's got me giggleing just remembering the story!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Never heard your story, but I bet it started with something like..."Hold my beer, I gotta idea"..  :smileystooges:

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
When I was about 14 or so I was bass fishing with my father and snagged a small beaver with a deep diving lure. I had no idea the beaver was even in the vicinity.  The line didn't break and so I reeled him up to the boat.  To say the least he wasn't happy and all I wanted to do was take the hooks out of him and let him go on his way.  After struggling for 10 minutes trying to keep his teeth away from my hand and my dad laughing the whole time, I finally had to cut the line and let him go.  I wouldn't advise skewering one with a fish arrow as your results would likely be the same.

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
Beaver makes a fine meal if killed quickly and taken care of. Throw the hind quarters in a slow cooker with potatos and carrots and onions. Thats good right there.
Olin

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Axel, I would love to see those arrows, could you post a picture

Lucas
Lucas Kent

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
I have hunted beaver since 1982.  Never had a use for the fishing tackle.  If you place a broadheaded arrow in the boiler room, like your suppose too,  they will swim to shore to expire. If you try for the head or the neck which is in view, they will die almost instantly, then sink before you can get to them.  I think I've taken over 500 of them, and still going strong.  Look at my avatar.  The coat and hat is made from the pelts of some of them.  When they come into the boat, they are expired! I use the same set up I use for deer or elk. By the way, we have a five month season on them  here in Ca.   Good luck!  mr.chuck   :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
I have a story for you.  It's long, and I don't have anything better to do, so I'll tell it.

When I was 16, I thought I'd catch one live.  Beaver, that is. They'd come into our field from the river at night and eat the corn.  I had caught groundhog, possums, and muskrats before, so I thought I might as well try. It seemed like the next logical step.

I had my heavy duty critter catcher, which was a 6 foot length of galvanized pipe, and a long piece of heavy cord run through it.  Also in my arsenal was the biggest fish net I could find, my grandpa's striper fishing net. Oh, and a million candle power spotlight, which would later play a crucial role in the nights great event.

After much persuading and convincing, I finally was able to get my buddy, Jody, to join me.  All he had to do was hold the light, I'd do the rest.

Well, long about midnight, after sitting in the pitch black dark, suffering from the bazillion mosquitos (the Off can ran out after half a spray), we heard some scuffling, scrunching, murmuring sounds from the well-worn trail we were sitting near.

The plan was to wait until the beaver got near the the corn, Jody would whip on the light, I'd dash in with the big net, do some scooping and drag my catch out in the open and attach the critter-gitter.  Nice plan.  Well thought out plan.  Foolproof plan.  Stupid plan.

Come to find out, beaver are not that amicable.  

We sat in complete silence until we were confident the beaver was preoccupied by the succulent corn stalks.  When we heard contented beaver sounds, which, incidentally sounded a lot like my grandpa (the one I pilfered the net from), I made my move.

Jody flipped on the light and I dashed in for the catch.  Problem number one arose quickly, with numbers two, three, four and five close behind.  

Jody had stayed in our original position.  A position which placed my body directly in the way of the light beam.  The only thing I saw was my own immense shadow.

I turned to tell him to move and he shined the light right in my face. You wouldn't think a million candle power light would cause temporary blindness, but it does.  

All of this was happening while I was on the move, through heavy grass, with a long pole, and a huge net, and in the dark.  As I turned back towards my foe, the unforeseen and most definitely unintended happened.  In my state of temporary blindness, I stepped on the net.  Then I tripped over my pole.  Then I fell in the heavy grass.  Then I landed on a rock right on my kneecap.  It hurt.  Then I sprained my wrist. It hurt, too.  Then there was the beaver.

I had fallen right in the trail the beaver had been using.  Surprisingly, beaver don't like a lot of commotion, so this one was hightailing it back to the river.  I was in the way.  As a side note, beaver growl.  

So there I was.  Sprawled out in the grass, a piercing pain in my wrist, my kneecap feeling like it had exploded, my foot tangled in the net, blind.  So what do I do?  Do I abandon my quest? Do I scamper to safety?  Do I cradle my injured extremities?  Nooo.  I right myself and try to catch me a beaver.  

I whomped and I whailed.  I played whack-a-beaver with a busted net.  I was making contact, but my scooping skills were somewhat lacking.  The thing about beavers is they're surprisingly agile.  They can hop and they can juke and they can jive.  The thing about me is I'm persistent.  Too a fault, apparently.

I managed to get the net tangled around some part of that beaver.  What part, I'm not sure.  Beaver grunts quickly turned to some pretty fearsome beaver teeth chomping. If you haven't heard that from 5 feet away, you haven't lived, my friend.

At this crucial moment, things suddenly got a lot darker.  Literally.  The battery died on the light.  Bummer.  Contrary to the popular belief at the time, I did have some semblance of common sense.  I let go of the handle.  The beaver clamored his way back to the river, big honking net in tow.  He was making quite the ruckus until he managed to free himself.

It took a moment for the adrenaline to wear off.  I sat in the dark, wondering if that all really just happened.  Jody broke the silence.  "Did you get him?"  "Yeah, Jody, we're cuddling.  Give us a moment."

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
looper, you just made my whole night!  Heck, my whole weekend!  Gotta love a teenager and ingenuity  :) .
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
I gotta admit, I been laughing my tail off this whole thred!!

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©