3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help w/Grizzley B Heads  (Read 307 times)

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Help w/Grizzley B Heads
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Today I received a dozen 145 grain Grizzley broad heads. This is my first experiance with this brand of head. I noticed that these heads are totaly dull although the bevel is ground on the blades.
What I'd like to know is. What is the very best/easiest way to get these blade shaving sharp?
In case I fail to get these blades sharp enough is there anyone out there willing to sharpen them?
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help w/Grizzley B Heads
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Grizzly bhs can be a bit tricky to sharpen.  Do a check in the search and you should find plenty of info.  Lots of great info in there.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Here's a pictorial that my buddy Curtis Kellar did. It should help.  Grizzly sharpening
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Check out this link.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000053)  

Remember to get and use a good file, this is not the place to try to save a couple of bucks on a cheap file.  Also get some chalk to chalk your file.

You can also do a search on the website for "sharpen grizzly broad head"or somthing like that.

Also, there was a good article on the Aussiebowhunter website (www.aussiebowhunter.com) - but I can't get the page to load dor the link.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
The file sharpening method is the best if you can get the hang of it, the links provided already are a great source.

We have an alternate method on our site for those who can't achieve success with the file.  Look on the site under the "Sharpening" link.

www.braveheartarchery.us

The Grizzly is an awesome head and worth the extra trouble to learn to sharpen.  Once you get the knack, you'll probably find they sharpen very quickly.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
I'm sitting here with no hair on my rt arm as I just finished sharpening 6 160 grizzly heads. Took me about 40 minutes from out of the package to shaving sharp. I use a water stone at about 650 rpm and a polishing wheel with the red rouge. Change the angle to about 25degrees and your off and running. Also easily done with a file and also a Lansky tool although much slower. Frank

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
There seems to be an opportunity here for someone to market a Griz sharpening gig that would help us set the 25-degree angle Dr. Ashby has found to be most effective and strongest. Finding and holding that angle consistently is causing me fits. Thanks for these threads. I'll check the sites, as hunting season draws near! dave

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all the info. I messed around with one head today and got it shaving sharp. This is THE BEST SITE ON LINE!!!!
The people here are just super! Thanks my friends!

:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :notworthy:
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©