3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Commemorating Adventures (big surprise for tradgang member)  (Read 804 times)

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter

I'm commemorating my several Rocky Mountain Goat Adventures and a special friendship.  I have been working on a special project (http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=110;t=004590) over in the Knife building forum since spring.  Thanks to all for the help. I finally completed it yesterday.  As with all life , I made many errors and learnt many things, but the most important for this project was to have a medical kit near by!    

I am using Trad Gang to present this commemorative set of knifes, Allan will not receive his knife until he responds to this post/topic.

Here is a little back ground story on my Adventures.

This story/adventured begins in 2000, This year,  I was partnered and worked with an ambitious and keen individual from British Columbia.  As we started into our summer of work, our personalities meshed and we became good friends.  Since that summer of working together, Allan’s and my friendship has strengthened and I consider him my closest friend and hunting buddy and really an extension of my family.   This friendship is what nudged me back to traditional archery, changed my lifestyle choices and outlook on life.  Since 2000, Allan has come to Saskatchewan several times to hunt, hang out and visit.

In 2004, I decided that I would like to try first Rocky Mountain goat hunt, this hunt occurred in the end of September early October.  In a 10 day period we climbed two separate mountains, spent a night roped to a cliff, almost got taken out by a meter round boulder, wore a pair of mountain pants down to where only threads were hanging off of me, experienced Devils club for the first time and struggled with my fear of heights and the physical and mental exertion of the whole experience.   Up to this point the biggest mental challenge I have ever faced.  Reaching my mental and physical limit was awakening as well as somewhat degrading.  I did not get a goat on this trip, but what I did get was a love for the mountain environment, and a further need to challenge my limits and fears, while getting more out of the hunting experience and life.  I got home and figured that would be my last goat hunt, but within several months I could not be defeated in that way and the alpine environment had affected my brain and was calling me back.

In 2005, I headed for British Columbia again.   I left my newly born daughter and wife behind and set of for one more adventure.  This time like the last we climbed two separate mountains and again no Mountain goat.  As the time before my personnel limits challenged me.   The experience was somewhat better and gave me an opportunity to see even more remote alpine areas at a different time of year.  Mid-August brought the alpine wild flowers into bloom, salmon fishing for the big Chinooks in this area, and nicer weather.   On this trip Allan landed a close to 70 lbs. Chinook “wow”.  Arriving home, I stated, to my Wife once more, “This was my last time for mountain goats”.  But this time within days of returning to Saskatchewan I was thinking of going again.

I would have returned sooner but changes in Allan’s and my work and personal life kept me away for several years.  Part of what contributed to this was that in 2009, while on patrol at work, I rolled my quad and broke my back and had multiple other serious injuries.  This was for me a monumental life changing moment.  I realized how close I was to not walking ever again and possibly death.  Three things came from this experience:  1.) Don’t wait to do things in life, savor every moment especially with friends and family 2.)  Don’t let your health physically and mentally limit your experiences 3.)   There are so many more important things than work.

2011 was a great hunting experience, even though the weather was less than cooperative, hurricane winds, rain, snow, sleet, fog and everything else you don’t want for weather when hunting goats.   Hunting was exciting, with the exploration of new mountain areas and challenging routes to get to the high country.  I very much enjoyed this hunt, time with a great friend and time in the high country.  Again no goats where in the forecast but I started to realize that was only a very small portion of the experience.   Due to money and demands of family life I again stated to my wife, “This was my last time for goats”, she kind of smiled.  It took even less time to change my mind and wanted to go again.

2012 brought my forth British Columbia adventure to pursue Mountain goats and experience the mountain environment once more.  What a trip perfect weather, great salmon fishing, spectacular alpine wild flowers and mountain vistas.  After tackling two separate mountains, seeing two grizzlies at very close distances, I received my first chance at a Rocky Mountain goat and made a dream come true.  Now that I harvested a Mt. goat I figured that I would be satisfied and not need to hunt them ever again, I was home not more than a month and have already decided I will go again.  But again have realized that it is the friendship and mountain environment that is the real draw.   The goat I took on this hunt, although fantastic eating and a great trophy, is only a small part of my past four adventures.   This animal was more than a trophy that most people judge animals by; it was a conclusion to 4 separate trips, overcoming my fear of height, embracing the mental and physical challenges faced by hunting these alpine areas.        
I believe that no person that has experienced the alpine environment and adventure can get it out of their blood.

The 2012 photo gallery is:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=179;t=000100        

And Hunting Knives and knife builders forum

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=110;t=004590
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Commemorating Adventures (big surprise for tradgang member)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
Incredible story! Thank you for sharing this with us. Congrats on an incredible trophy as well!   :clapper:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
great stuff and story man
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
Sounds like you have a knife recipient that will appreciate all the effort that went into producing those knives.

Great story!     :clapper:
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Great story!   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
How cool of a story and friendship.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Beautiful !

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Very cool!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
Great story and friendship.  You are a lucky man.  Congrats on the great hunts!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
What a great story - congratulations on your perseverance!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Great job and story. I bet he'll be proud of it especially knowing it's from a good friend. I enjoyed seeing the knives being created.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
great story!!!!!  :clapper:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
Awesome and congrats on getting over your medical issues in such style!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
Awesome!!!!

Bisch

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
WOW!!!! Makes me want to start putting in for a tag here in Colorado, but I think I'm too old, by the time I'd draw one, I'd be too dang old if I started putting in for them now! That is the coolest looking euro mount I've seen!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
help me keep this one near the top so TDhunter may see!

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
ttt

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
Great story!   :clapper:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Nice!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Hello Allan ?

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©