3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: making custom adapters. what grade steel?  (Read 444 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
making custom adapters. what grade steel?
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
here's a link to a thread with pics of my custom adapter. i want to get a batch machined. what steel should i use. these prototype were machined from high tensile bar stock.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000420;p=2
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: making custom adapters. what grade steel?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
12L14...the most common freemachining cold rolled steel in the world would ve my first choice by a mile. 1018 would be my second choice.
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
12L14...the most common freemachining cold rolled steel in the world would ve my first choice by a mile. 1018 would be my second choice.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
can you please explain those terms for me jack.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
Clint, If you go to a machine shop they will know what it means.  Basically, the last two numbers in the 1018 is the amount of carbon in the steel.  As Jack said, both 12L14 and 1018 are easily machined standard stock.  The higher in carbon you go the more challenging it can become but also the stronger the material.  For example high carbon steel is great for knife blades because it holds an edge very well (like 1095 for example) but the trade-off is that it can also become more brittle.  Tell your machineist what you want it for and have them pick the appropriate material.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
How bout some L6?  Used for making punches, dies, and jackhammer bits:  impact resistant...
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
L6 is my vote as well.  Nigh on indestructible.

Offline Triphammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
L6, if not heat treated will act almost identically to the 10/12 series steels at a much higher price. Jackdaw is right on the money wrt 12L14 or 1018. 10 means a plain carbon steel 18 is .18 % carbon, can't take a heat treatment. 12L is a plain carbon steel that has been altered slightly and has had lead added to increase machinability. In essence, the same steel all field points are made out of.
And BTW, jackhammer bits are S7. Silicon steel.

Offline Sapcut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Ozy,

I have been making the screw in adapters with the shoulders for years now.  Lots of advantages.
Black Widow PSAX 71@31
Faith is Life

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Since you don't plan to shoot through brick walls, heat treating would be a waste of time.  If you don't heat treat, high carbon steel will only cost you more and rust faster.  If I were doing thiss, my biggest concerbs wouldbe weight and corrosion resistance.  I would probably go with stainless, brass or aluminum.  Good luck! - John

Offline Bigjackfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
I am a machinist and 1018 is plenty good for your purpose ,no need for a heat treated steel it will only add to the cost.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
believe me, if you go to a machine shop and they do not know what 12 L 14 or 1018 is... find a new machine shop. they are super common in the industry. glad to see a couple of other guys backed this up. good luck!

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
KLINT  
I like your insert/adaptor /internal footing. I tried to have one made similar to it in grade 5 titanium. The .240 (for 5/16 arrow) insert was 3 in long and the 5 degree taper was AMO standard .The prototype weighed in at 200 grans .It was beautiful….the cost of production for no less than 100 pieces was$18.00 . FOB the machine shop   Needless to say  it was not feasible for me. Hope you can get them built  as there is a need for all sorts of good adaptors. It is a good concept.

The adaptor being a weak spot in any arow set up requires special attention of the archer especially for game animals deer size and up.
I have been working on many different variations of adaptor and running stress test on all for several years.

Richie Nell  gave me a idea about a year ago that I took up and worked on . When I finally settled on a design and had working drawings made I found that the cost just for the set up for each weight adaptor  or style I wanted to make  on a screw machine was way beyond my budget and the minimum runs were to high

Some things deserve to be, made like your adaptor, regardless of sensible marketing. I had my heart set on making these adaptors so I approached Larry Hanify  of  Abowyer  broadheads ( you don't know how that hurts to type those words       :)      sorry Larry        :)       )  
 He also was working on similar ideas independently from me  so we teamed up sharing ideas and cost. Sharing cost and production runs makes a lot sense making every thing more feasible.

The steel we decided on was 416 stainless, …... 12L14   carbon steel mentioned above and the 416 ss we chose  are almost equal in tensile strength and yield strength.  
The 416 stainless being superior in corrosion resistance.
The 12L 14   does machine well because lead is added to the alloy to make it they way . The 416 may be harder to machine and harder on tools  but the other properties out way that. ALL OUR 416 SS ADAPTORS WILL BE HEAT TREATED  FOR FURTHER TUFFNESS.

SPECILITY ADAPTORS  

We are going to offer a insert /adaptor for the 5/16 arrow() to begin with ) that has a 1/4 t0 3/8 long post (shank)s between the insert and the 5 degree  taper .The shank concept has multiple benefits:
1 Once the insert is in the carbon arrow and the broad head is mounted , an aluminum footing can be slid down the  arrow and over the shank  covering any gap that would have been between a normal insert and adaptor. (not easy to explain) but making for a extraordinary solid set up.

2 The shank puts the broad head weight further out on the arrow helping to facilitate FOC.

3 The shank allow a insert /adaptor to be made in heavy weights with out extending the length of the adaptor which could effect arrow spine.
4 Can be use by it self or with footings mentioned above

WE are going to offer these in weights of 150, 175 , 200,  225, and 250 grains

Later we hope to do one for the 9/32 arrow with a  ID. of .203 i

We are also going to offer screw- in adaptors that can be used on any diameter arrow as long as they have a 8-32 thread insert.  These screw in adaptors can be used by them selves or with a aluminum footing arrangement on both 5/6 OD .and 9/32 OD.arrows

These screw in adapters wil be offered in heat treated416 ss in 150,175,200 grains

STANDARD ADAPTORS  

We are a now in production with standard 75,100,125 grain 416 ss heat treated adaptors  which hopefully will be available  soon at

www.abowyer.com    
 or
 www.tuffhead.com

KLINT  

I did not mean to steal the thread but wanted to discuss the metal options mentioned in the post. There is a need for good in-serts and out-serts. The more one can choose  from the more  they are  able to match  a adaptor to their individual needs. Thanks for your idea
Joe Furlong

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©