3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My moose antler decoy  (Read 767 times)

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
My moose antler decoy
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
In the thick heavy brush of Ontario, I can see the need for calling and a decoy to get the bulls to come to you, but on many remote solo moose hunts to Alaska I have found visibility can be less of an issue. With that said, bulls still tend to hang up especially if they have cows. Flashing a white trash bag, scapula or shed found during the hunt may get stubborn bulls to commit to your calling, but if some do hang up, I have found you have to make them think you are another bull. My bull grunts and portable antler decoy mounted on my head may give me just that mobility to move into them. My first recourse is to call or decoy them to me, but when all else fail, I move in.

I used my photo of a 64 inch bull I arrowed in 2004 and had my friend print it on corrugated plastic. The new image of the rack spanned 47 inches, but I cut off each antler palm and overlapped the center piece with reinforced corrugated with attached Velcro for ease of carrying in my day pack. A decoy is of no use if you don’t have it when needed. Like many homeless people who sleep on cardboard in the city of Chicago, my decoy can also be used as a moisture barrier should I have to spend the night away from my tent.

The antlers are attached on the head strap used to mount a GoPo camera. I cut a hole in the antler center piece above my left eye to facilitate the use of a GoPo while drawing and shooting with the antlers on. If needed, I can mount the antlers quickly to a bush or tree and back away, if during the approach the bull I’m after advances. The use of grunting and posturing while wearing the antlers, may grab the focus of a rut crazed bull enough allow my approach. The use of a mobile decoy is nothing new, but is typically used with a pair of hunters, one being the shooter. This design allows the solo hunter to do both. Again there may be hazards related to this tactic, should the bull charge, a bear is in the area, or a distant hunter makes an identity mistake. You are a moving decoy. That movement is key to a triggered response. In this case, if the response to do nothing allows me to move in among a group of cows with a bull, that’s OK too.

I would prefer not to use a decoy, but if you are pressed for time and need to get within bow-range to make an ethical kill, this may be an option to consider.  Mike

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My moose antler decoy
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
THAT could produce not only some exciting moments, but some awesome hunting stories.  Nicely done Mike.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
It's ready to drop into my daypack. If pack size changes, I can easily trim the tines or edges to make fit. I included this decoy on my last moose hunt where I was limited to only seventy pounds of gear for a trip scheduled for over 2 weeks. A testament to portability, and utility. If a firmer more controled attachement is needed, I can swap out the elastic head band with a non-strech nylon one with quick velcro fit.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
Now that is truly awesome!!!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
Bart Schleyer and Paul Schafer both used taxidery deer earliners attached to their heads to gain an advatage by calming sitka deer during stalks on Kodiac Island. I'm sure they felt as silly I did when first donning these pseudo animal parts.

On my last moose hunt I was able to get close without useing them, but when a difficult situation presents itself, its kind of like "what do I have to loose?"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
that is very cool
just dont find a moose on the fight- could be fun- kinda be like hiding behind a buck decoy in rifle season    :eek:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
You are Nuts. Still pretty cool.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
Just a HEADS   :help:   up but I hope this doesn't happen   :notworthy:  

As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
In the peak of the rut , that could be more excitement to fast .
Still cool though .   :thumbsup:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ottertails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Very cool. I watched a documentary many years ago on Nat-Geo or the Discovery channel on Canadian moose and the rut. They had made a huge set of antlers and a much smaller set.... Then set out to challenge some bulls.... I remember where the larger fake rack intimidated some of the smaller bulls. They did get a few large bulls to come charging and in one case the guy wearing the rack had to ditch them and run for cover  ;) ....

I'm sure you'll have some excitement!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
Yes if time presents, I would definately prop and step away from decoy. I would certainly pay close attention to mannerism of aproaching bull, or my main goal, a bull that allows my closing the gap. Paying attention to any cows is also quite critacle. Hunting any rutting moose is hazardous, and I don't take this technique lightly.... last resort. But the frustration of watching a great bull with its harem, with no options, is pain that is also very hard to swallow.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
Hey Mike.  Have you seen the "Language of Antlers" video produced by I believe a Canadian wildlife researcher several years ago.  Can't remember his name.

It leaves little doubt that an antler decoy works. Even in Alaska though, I'd be worried that some fool would shoot me.  Also, though bulls usually do some posturing before they actually lock horns, I would think the decoy would tend to create more head-on views of the moose rather than broadside shot opportunities.  Of course, if they're bigger than you, they might also just decide to stomp on you. That's one of the things the researcher found out. Littler bulls kept their distance.  Bigger bulls kept on coming.

Hunting solo in the back country of Alaska becoming a little sedate for you?     :goldtooth:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
You make an impressive looking bull Mike!
Would a smaller set of antlers be less intimidating to a real moose?  Of course, I don't expect to be in the company of the caliber of mouse you typically hunt.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
They tend to approach to a posturing distance and then give a broad side. I haver done my share of hiding from lesser bulls I did not intend to shoot. Cows keep big bulls in place, often physically.

Once the big guy has "haremed-up" the hunt is over.  Again, this is a problem unique to a bowhunter, and especially trad. Ha!

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Mike,
 Slick idea !!  Thanks for sharing.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *