3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mason's 2015 hunt...  (Read 378 times)

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mason's 2015 hunt...
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
Many of you read my post on my son, Mason's first hunt last year in late December.  For a refresher, here's a link   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=141962;p=1#000000  

This year he is now 8; he turned 8 just a week and a half ago.  Since his first hunt 1 year ago he's grown a bit, lost both his front teeth, and has shot another 1000 arrows out of his Black Rhino.  He's ready for a new bow as that one is very light and he's much stronger.  Time for that one to move down the family tree to his 5 year old sister.

To start the story, I got access to a 40 acre tract of land that is within city limits.  Did some research and found that in my particular city, the city ordinance allows bow hunting on any privately held tract over 2 acres during all big game seasons.  That's great news!!!!

For the first time in 10 years, I have not killed a deer (with any weapon).  So when I knew I could get out for one more morning sit I had to choose between scouting / hunting with my son or going to a proven area for one last attempt to put one in the freezer.  For any of you Dads with young sons - you know this was an easy choice.  I'd trade a morning with Mason in the woods for most any other hunting I've ever done.  

We drive to the woodlot, park the truck, and step out into a "severe fog advisory."  I thought, "Great, nothing like trying to scout a new area and only being able to see 10 feet."      ;)  

I had done some topo work and already had a great idea of what we'd find so I wasn't too worried.  Off we go into the mist...

Immediately we were seeing squirrels - and lot's of them.  To an 8 year old boy, this equates to pure excitement...it was like trying to hold back a beagle when it's caught a scent.  Not too long into our stroll we spot one that's coming down the tree and is completely unaware of our presence.  Before I could even speak or nod to him...Mason was off on stalk mode!

He got to full draw...    

But no shot.  I asked him why he didn't shoot.  In an irritated and slightly surprised manner he responded, "Darn thing wouldn't sit still!" That was the first time I struggled to not laugh out loud this morning, but would not be the last.

We kept scouting, all the while he asking questions and soaking it all in like a sponge.  However, it was clear that his eyes were focused in on the tree tops - this boy wanted a squirrel bad.  

Maybe 45 minutes after that first "stalk," I see 3 really large gray squirrels messing around in a thick area.  I tell him to just sit tight and see what happens.  As luck would have it, one breaks from the thick stuff and comes out into a small opening only 10 feet away!!!!  Now, my boy can shoot...so in my head I'm already counting his first kill in hand.  He draws and let's fly.  He missed him by more than 2 feet!!!  The squirrel didn't even get scared.  Now this is when I lose it - you know how when you can't laugh out loud, that's when it's the hardest to keep it contained.  At first he was mad, but at my laughter, he finally turned and we spent the next 5 minutes with the highly contagious giggles.      :biglaugh:  

I asked him what happened and he said, "I missed."  ...out of the mouth of babes.  I asked if he focused and aimed and he responded, "I don't remember."  I smiled and said, "Son, you've now experienced your first case of buck fever.  It happens to the best of us."  I also explained that it's the rush the keeps us going back for more.  

After a few more close encounters with some tree rats, tons of rubs, some great teaching moments, and some mud on our boots, we were back at the truck.  Hunt #2 was another great morning with my boy.  Here's a few pics of the morning, and one just to show his form (did I mention the boy can shoot?).  Hope you enjoy.

"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mason's 2015 hunt...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
:saywhat:

Great stuff dad!
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
That was way cool, and I really dig that bateman glove Mason is wearing. Great moments.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by 23feetupandhappy:

Great stuff dad!
That is an Eagles Flight quiver - I only live about an hour and 15 minutes from his shop so I took the little long bow to him to make sure it would fit and work and it's been great.  Light as a feather.  I did end up putting a wrap of electrical tape around the connection because of how thin his limbs are - the quiver would shift some on occasion.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
Pure awesomeness!!!!

Looks like a fantastic morning in the woods!

Bisch

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
Great stuff!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
I really can't understand how anyone could miss with a Batman bow glove! What? Haha, great looking lad and congrats to you Dad!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:

Originally posted by 23feetupandhappy:

Great stuff dad!
That is an Eagles Flight quiver - I only live about an hour and 15 minutes from his shop so I took the little long bow to him to make sure it would fit and work and it's been great.  Light as a feather.  I did end up putting a wrap of electrical tape around the connection because of how thin his limbs are - the quiver would shift some on occasion. [/b]
I was wondering how they would fit on the little LB limbs.....

The boys have Maddog Pups which look very similar
to Masons bow.
Good idea about the Electrical tape   :thumbsup:

Its so cool to see your boy go into "Hunt Mode" isn't it!?!?!?!?  
   :archer:

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
Just awesome stuff right there.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
I really is Ben - I love the days he's with me out there.  I'm glad to hear your boys have the Maddog Pup - I'm pretty set on that being his next bow.  I was thinking of getting the max poundage that Mike will do as that bow should last him quite a few more years that way.  What age are your boys and what poundage did you get them?  

The EFA quiver has been great for it.  Another option is a cross cut piece of tubing slid over the limb first, then the EFA quiver cinched down on that.  It worked great for years, but the tubing split and I didn't have anymore laying around so I just did a figure 8 of tape around them and that's worked well.  

Thanks for the replied fellas!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Awesome
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:
I really is Ben - I love the days he's with me out there.  I'm glad to hear your boys have the Maddog Pup - I'm pretty set on that being his next bow.  I was thinking of getting the max poundage that Mike will do as that bow should last him quite a few more years that way.  What age are your boys and what poundage did you get them?  

The EFA quiver has been great for it.  Another option is a cross cut piece of tubing slid over the limb first, then the EFA quiver cinched down on that.  It worked great for years, but the tubing split and I didn't have anymore laying around so I just did a figure 8 of tape around them and that's worked well.  

Thanks for the replied fellas!
Ill check the specs on the bows tonight and let you know!

:thumbsup:

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
Cherish these times as they will go by quickly.
I have a pic of my son the same age shooting and now he's graduating HS. Time really flies.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
That's cool stuff! It's good to see kids getting out of the house and having fun.

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
Memory for a lifetime for the both of you!

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
Great story and pics. I'll never forget the featured black and white from last year as it gripped my heart reminding me of days gone by with my son.   :thumbsup:

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
That's sine great stuff brother! That kind of investment will pay out in incredibly ways!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
huntin partner for life right there!!!

mine is now 35 and a huntin fool.

tks for taken us along!!!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
That dude looks deadly! Only a matter of time...

Good stuff!   :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©